Pleco fry dying - need some help please

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Pleco fry dying - need some help please

Post by vanillarum »

I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that originally held my L046 colony. I moved the L046s out a while ago, and added 7 purple danios and 2 cory atropersonata to the barebottom tank. They have been fine for a coupla months. A month ago, I added some L400 fry (1 1/2" or bigger) to the tank from their breeding tank. All were dead in 2 days. I then took out the PP danios, and yesterday I added 4 red BN fry (1 1/2" again). Today - all dead. Corys are fine, swimming around like mad. There is an AC 70 and a sponge filter in/on the tank, as well as a Koralia water pump and an Aquaball 1212 air pump. The tank is bare bottom. Any suggestions ? I want to add another colony of plecos to the tank, and I am wondering if I should drain the tank, throw out the filter media, scrub everything and start again. I would add aan HOB from another tank that is already running. Thanx for any help.
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
.Plecomania.
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: New Jersey USA

Re: PLECO FRY DYING - NEED SOME HELP PLEASE

Post by .Plecomania. »

if the tank is properly cycled and mature then i would think it had to do with water parameter differences. everything should be the same between this new tank and the old tank where the plecos will be transferred from.
plecoboy
My cats species list: 9 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:63)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: De Pere, WI
Interests: plecos

Post by plecoboy »

Is there a sand substrate in the tank the L400 fry came from? I'm thinking they had a pH shock to the new tank which probably has a lower pH.
Breeding List: L46,L66,L129,L136a,L183,L201,L260,L270,L333,L340,L400,L411, and Lower Rio Xingus
ClearSky57
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 2: Mid-Atlantic, USA

Post by ClearSky57 »

Assuming your temps were similar...
Just a thought,,, but is the tank grounded... I have heard of younger fish getting zapersped by low current, when it doesn't appear to effect others..... maybe a bad heater or one of the powerheads????
you never know.... might not be enough to feel it yourself....
vanillarum

Post by vanillarum »

all the tanks are BB. Wouldn't an electrical shock have an effect on the cories ? And yikes, how the hang would I check that ? Thanx. Temps are the same.
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

Post by Supercorygirl »

Just a thought, as I've never bred plecos just corys, but before moving the fry over, drain the new tank and fill with water from the breeding tank. I lost a lot of fry from Cory's till I started doing this. Then with the water changes should acclimitze them to the different parameters between the 2 tanks. Hope it helps.
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
vanillarum

Post by vanillarum »

Draining 1 tank to the other is a great idea. And easy, too, as they are side by side. Thanx, I'll give it a shot.
William H. Danforth
ClearSky57
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 2: Mid-Atlantic, USA

Post by ClearSky57 »

vanillarum wrote:all the tanks are BB. Wouldn't an electrical shock have an effect on the cories ? And yikes, how the hang would I check that ? Thanx. Temps are the same.
If you had a low voltage issue, you wouldn't necessarily notice it, but it can react on some fish and not others... as i said, younger ones may be less tolerant. I'ts just a thought....
On my larger tanks or tanks with real costly fish in them, or if you have a system, it is simply a $10 ground fault plug in with a small probe that goes into the tank/system.

I bought 2 dozen young fish from a breeder in the midwest and acclimated them to my tanks/water the same way I've done with all my new arrivals, including L-046's, and a few fish even a bit higher priced, and I lost the entire bunch, one or two at a time. Other than nitrites a bit higher than normal, no other explanation for me..
I think sometimes we can have a "sour" tank that just doesn't cycle right or has bad karma?????
When I get one like that, (lost about 20 corys in one until I gave up) I just tear it down, and start over....

what kind of filtration did you say you had in yours???

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”