Farlowella

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
fishay12
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Virginia

Farlowella

Post by fishay12 »

I have a 26 bowfront that I would like to stcok with:
6-12 Neon tetras
5-6 c. habrosus (already have 3)
1-2 plecos or a farlowella
The only fish in question is the farlowella. I have a high ph of 7.6 and temp at 77 with gravel, driftwood and plants. Is this suitable? Thanks, Cole
fishay12

Re: Farlowella

Post by fishay12 »

No-one wants to help me? Please guys I really like catfish and would like some honest advice. :d
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons

Post by Shane »

Your contemplated mix of fish is ideal. My tap water is similar in chemical composition (Fairfax County = Potomac River) and I am spawning Farlowella in it.
My only suggestion would be to raise the temperature a degree or two.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
zeebo
Location 2: CT, USA

Post by zeebo »

hi, one thing to add , farlowellas are cool cats, but if you don't feed them they will starve to death. They will clean your tank ,however it is not enough to sustain them. They are very docile and won't fight for food. It is good that you have wood in the tank, as my farlowella rasps on it as well as hangs out on it all day. She blends in well and feels safe.

I feed mine a slice of zucchini a few times a week at lights out time. I use a food clip with a suction cup and stick it up high in the tank, where the L's (if you get any) won't go for food as they prefer to stay closer to the bottom. Good luck with what you choose !

the ph will be fine , ask the store to test the ph from the tank it is in when you purchase it, and acclimate slow if there is a big difference. zeebo
fishay12

Post by fishay12 »

Thanks guys! I will probably get one in the next couple weeks :)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”