Dianema urostriata!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Dianema urostriata!

Post by Graeme »

Hi, Has anyone got any tank set-up preferences or info on there feeding habits. Here's a Picture of him. Pitty he was the only one left in the lfs.
Cheers.
Graeme.

coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

You could have picked up two of these for a real bargain price at today's Catfish Auction!. As it is they're gone North of the border if I remember correctly.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Nice one!
I've kept them in the past and in general they behave like a giant Corydoras with exactly the same requirements, only more room.

A single one can get very shy, if you cannot get more (or D longibarbis), add Cory's, they mix very well.

I've kept Dianema's at different times in the past, and the best experiences I've had with a group of 7 adult D longibarbis in a mixed catfishtank. they were visible all day, entirely due to numbers.

I've found Dianema to be very gentle, peaceful fishes, like Brochis and some Corydoras species. Even the smallest nasty can really make life miserable for them, so choose tankmates wisely. They're not at all like Hoplo's or Callichthys; those can handle boisterous tankmates much better.

btw it's a Callichthyd, so I have a vague feeling the mods will move this post.....
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

Cheers! :D

Graeme.
Bigdan
Location 1: Greensboro, NC U.S.A.
Interests: CATFISH for sure,movies,music, and all types of freshwater aquaria

Post by Bigdan »

Hey Graeme-I know you from another forum. You're the loach expert. Well I just purchased 2 of these guys a couple of days ago. One of them swims around all the time, and the other hides out. I'm worried about the one that is not swimming around. Does anyone know what these guys like to eat? When I put food in the tank, they just don't seem to be all that interested. I've tried flake food and bloodworms. Also I put shrimp pellets in for the loaches, The flagtail cats just seem to taste the pellets and swim away. Graeme-do you know much about this cat?
Cories Rule!
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

Hi, Dan. In the short time i have kept him i feed him late in the evening and he has a fond taste of Bloodworms and sinking pellets and even flake if it floats buy his way. Maybe after lights out you should try feeding them as they are semi- Nocturnal fish? Not 100% sure myself (Loaches are my Thing). :roll: :D

Graeme.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”