please help me some questions

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
F3-RapalaAngler
Location 2: Michigan

please help me some questions

Post by F3-RapalaAngler »

first let me say I greatly appreciate you guys looking at this and answering any questions you can. I've kept fish for the better part of a decade and many species. recently I moved to a small apartment and have no room for a tank bigger than 2.5gallon. I have had that tank set up with a couple of mystery snails for a couple months and its all cycled. I really want a pair of albino corydoras. I realize a few things like they're a schooling fish but I have no many questions regarding my own experience and friends with them.

first the minimum cory kept thing. its my understanding thst albino corydoras are blind or mostly blind and from what I've witnessed they dont really school like most corydoras. I've had peppered corydoras and panda in the past and have kept albino corydoras for a friend for about 3 months in a group of 7 with very little schooling. it was a 15gallon tank if that helps. anyways I'm rambling. it's my hope thst I would be able to keep a simple pair of albino corydoras in this 2.5gallon tank. I would like to know if you believe they would be happy given the tank size and the fact that this version of corydoras doesn't seem to be as dependent on a large group. you all are the experts though so I'd really like your helps.

another question I have is how big they get. now I understand the albino corydoras I'd be getting are the "bronze" corydoras. I have read everything from 2inches to 4inches. I've seen some in petstores that were over 2inches I'd say but I'd just like to know what it is for peace of mind and if they would be happy in my set up. I currently have my tank planted with Sumatra ferns and a small log as well as open scavenging places for them. the tank is heated at 76F and filtered as well. I appreciate your time and input
jp11biod
I've donated: $372.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: NW Indiana

Re: please help me some questions

Post by jp11biod »

I would go with a small school of the tiny corydoras, C pygmaeus or C habrosus

JS
F3-RapalaAngler

hi, thanks for the reply. unfortunately I can't get anything other than panda, pepper, bronze or albino where I live. I would love pygmy cories
Valb68
I've donated: $60.00!
My cats species list: 37 (i:14, k:0)
My aquaria list: 18 (i:3)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:549)
Location 2: United States
Interests: Photography, gardening, reading, movies, aquarium gardens

Post by Valb68 »

Look on Aquabid.com Lots of listings for dwarf cories
PlecosAndLoaches
My cats species list: 89 (i:79, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:7)
Location 2: West Michigan, US

Post by PlecosAndLoaches »

Where in Michigan are you? The best places I know are Blue Fish Aquarium in Grand Rapids and Preuss Pets in E. Lansing. Outstanding selection at both.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
I would go with a small school of the tiny corydoras, C pygmaeus or C habrosus
Get away with you, these are fish that need really good water quality, water management would be really difficult on a tank that size.

I don't think 9 litres volume is really enough water volume for any fish, other than possibly a pair of Oryzias latipes or some Red Cherry Shrimps?

cheers Darrel
F3-RapalaAngler

I'm by Detroit. I assure you all I am wonderful at keeping water quality great.
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

Get away with you, these are fish that need really good water quality, water management would be really difficult on a tank that size.

I don't think 9 litres volume is really enough water volume for any fish, other than possibly a pair of Oryzias latipes or some Red Cherry Shrimps?
Sorry, Darrel I have to disagree with you.

The group of Aspidoras gold of mine were housed for 8 years and also readily spawned in a tank of such size. Also I collected 30+ eggs from from another identical tank this morning; and if my memory serves me right 'Coryman' many years ago spawned C pygmaeus in an even smaller tank.

Good water quality and water management is relative to the amount of time one is willing to spend on such irrespective of size of ones aquarium.
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Good water quality and water management is relative to the amount of time one is willing to spend on such irrespective of size of ones aquarium.
I'm not going to disagree with that.
The group of Aspidoras gold of mine were housed for 8 years and also readily spawned in a tank of such size. Also I collected 30+ eggs from Aspidoras sp (Cw052) from another identical tank this morning; and if my memory serves me right 'Coryman' many years ago spawned C pygmaeus in an even smaller tank.
I think the problem is that, to use a sporting analogy, you and Coryman etc. have much relevance to me as Mal Meninga did as a Rugby player, Pele a footballer, or Sachin Tendulkar a cricketer.

I'd suggest that you both can do this because you can see things I will never see, and adjust for them before disaster strikes. I need all the help I can get and I'll stand by my suggestion that for the majority of us it is difficult to maintain long term stability in very small tanks.

cheers Darrel
F3-RapalaAngler

if I were able to get pygmy cories how many could I have?
F3-RapalaAngler

No other input?
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

Post by Supercorygirl »

As long as you keep your maintence up as the little ones do need good water quality I would say could fit 6-8 in there depending on your decor. I would suggest if you could fit it as I don't see if this is a longer style tank (which would be great) or a high tank a small piece of driftwood like rosewood root cover with moss, a few plants on the bottom. I find mine prefer a bit more subdued lighting to really come out and play. Also just a thought if you could get your hands on a tank like the fluval chi the 5G really wouldn't take up much room.
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
F3-RapalaAngler

Hi, thanks supercorygirl. I appreciate all the responses I got, I have however since upgraded to a 5 gallon. Wondering if that would make it eaiser to keep say 3 panda corydoras or albino corydoras? Or is 3 to small or would they get to big?
Supercorygirl

Post by Supercorygirl »

In a 5G I would say go for the pandas, in a group of 5 and just keep up your maintence. I will say mine absolutely adore plants and I have found them more active with it in the tank. Constantly nuzzling the swords and crypts I have.
F3-RapalaAngler

I've read pandas grt up to 2 inches. Is that enough room for 5?
Supercorygirl

Post by Supercorygirl »

A mature female can hit the 2" mark, but most males I've seen or owned have stayed around the 1.5" size. I have kept a school in a 5G and as a rule of thumb myself have always over filtered. I had used a sponge filter that was good for a 30G tank but the sponge shape was more tall than wide, there was no decor except plants (java moss along the back, dwarf sag in the front, 3 melon swords to separate front and back) with 30% WC every week. They were the only fish in the tank and I had them like that for a year before I eventually added them to my 75G so I could use the 5G for some gertrudea aru2 rainbow fry.
F3-RapalaAngler

But you wouldn't do less than 5?
Supercorygirl

Post by Supercorygirl »

It is your choice but I found when kept in groups less than 5/6 they were very shy and hid all the time.
F3-RapalaAngler

Thanks, I was wondering if you could tell me how big albino corydoras get?
Supercorygirl

Post by Supercorygirl »

Albinos tend to be C. Aeneus (bronze) and the females get around 3" with the males being a bit smaller. These don't school as much and can be quite happy I have found in a group of 2-3, plus they tend to wink (look down then up really quick).
F3-RapalaAngler

Thank you I'm really trying to do right by the fish. Now what would I want to look for if I got albino corydoras to see if they are not happy and thriving? And the same goes for pandas? Since you said they both would require a different minimum number
Supercorygirl

Post by Supercorygirl »

As long as they are active, fat and not breathing rapidly you'll see it. They'll be out in the open and playing.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
F3-RapalaAngler

Even the albino?
F3-RapalaAngler

Well I went with pygmy corydoras. I got 7 which is all they had. Is this a good number for this tank? I also have an otocinclus. I had to go 45minutes away to get them
Supercorygirl

Post by Supercorygirl »

The pygmy are just as gorgeous, and a great number to go with. And yes the previous works for albinos or just about any cory. Soon you'll find yourself losing time as you watch the tank lol I know I do. Happy fish keeping
F3-RapalaAngler

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the help and hope I have many years of these cute little guys
F3-RapalaAngler

Another question regarding pygmy cories. If I were to add another type like say panda or albino would they all kinda school and be buddies or keep separate?
F3-RapalaAngler

Also wondering if a single albino corydoras would school with the pygmys?
Marine590622
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:60)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Madison Wi, USA
Location 2: Madison WI, USA
Interests: Fishkeeping

Post by Marine590622 »

7 pygmy corries in a 5 is f ine, I would not add any more corries to that tank. Where is the tank? On a desk? If you really want more corries consider making a small stand that will allow you to have a second 5 gallon tank above the current tank.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”