Which one of these is not an Oto?..

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
nonemvijar
Location 2: United States

Which one of these is not an Oto?..

Post by nonemvijar »

Hello catfish experts..I bought a couple of Otocinclus catfish yesterday from my lfs. Or atleast thats what i was told they are.

They both look quite different and also differ quite a bit in temperament. The grey one looks more like a "regular" Oto, is much more calm and remains mostly at the bottom while the darker one is very very active, swims around really fast and also frequently goes to the surface of the water (to take a breath??)..

Not sure if this is just an example of 2 Otos that are different from each other or if these are 2 different types of catfish. Any insight is greatly appreciated!..

Tank Details : 5 Gallon Planted (wisteria, anubias nana and parrot feathers) & maintained at 78-80 F.
Occupants : 1 Male Betta and 2 Catfish

Thanks!!..RM.
Attachments
Black Oto??
Black Oto??
Grey Catfish
Grey Catfish
Valb68
I've donated: $60.00!
My cats species list: 37 (i:14, k:0)
My aquaria list: 18 (i:3)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:549)
Interests: Photography, gardening, reading, movies, aquarium gardens

Re: Which one of these is not an Oto?..

Post by Valb68 »

They both look like hungry otos to me. Maybe drop them some Zucchini or spinach?
Amneris3
My cats species list: 2 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:33)

Post by Amneris3 »

Yep, would say both otos, not sure the species. Coloration can vary and also change if the fish is stressed. In my experience, they tend to be delicate and can sometimes have problems acclimating.
Jumpmaster
My cats species list: 12 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Israel

Post by Jumpmaster »

They are both otos. As mentioned, some blanched courgete will be welcomed
Using Tapatalk

Return to “What is my catfish?”