Dying microglanis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Atmichaels
My cats species list: 27 (i:26, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:2, p:112)
Location 2: Michigan, USA

Dying microglanis

Post by Atmichaels »

I don't know when this started as these guys are in hiding almost all the time. The last time I saw them about and about was probably 3-4 months ago. A month ago I noticed one of the three looked really skinny. I assumed internal parasites and treated the tank with a combo of metro/prazi. A week later I followed that up with two treatments of levamisole over a two week period since I'd had a camallanus issue with my livebearers about a year ago. Last treatment was 7 days ago. I've lost one already and I'm afraid the one pictured is too far gone. I'm absolutely gutted as these are the fish that got me hooked on cats. No one else in the tank appears affected. Any ideas what this is and if I can save the last one? I'd also really like to prevent this from ever happening in the future.

1. Water parameters
a) Temperature range. 74-75f
b) pH. 7.2-7.4
c) GH.
d) KH
e)Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, levels. 0,0,10-15
f) Water change frequency. 50% weekly

2. Tank set up
a) Size. 20 high
b) Substrate. Caribsea sand
c) Filtration. Marineland penguin 200
d) Furnishings. Slate caves, driftwood, flower pots, heavily planted
e) Other tank mates. 2 juvenile ancistrus, 6 cory. Metae, handful of juvenile swords (which the cats usually eat)
f) How long has it been set-up? 2 years
g) When was the last new fish added? Every few months I add sword or guppy fry as live food
h) Foods used and frequency? Kens earthworm pellets, NLS pellets, plecocaine, cobalt flake, frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp. Feed once daily alternating what they get, with a day of fasting every 7-10 days

3. Symptoms / Problem description
Emaciation, lethargy, death

4. Action taken (if any) moved to hospital tank

5. Medications used (if any) metro/prazi, levamisole

Last edited by Atmichaels on 01 Nov 2014, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

Re: Dying microglanis

Post by Supercorygirl »

If your nitrites are at 10-15 I'd say possibly nitrite poisoning/brown blood poisoning.
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
Atmichaels

Post by Atmichaels »

That should be a zero for nitrite and 10-15 for nitrate. Sorry.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

At the face value of the info given, I'd tentatively blame the live foods you are offering. You said once your livebearer feeders brought in camallanus. Perhaps, this time they have brought something too. These catfish need not live foods - too much liability.

Another thought is age. Could they be old enough to having lived out their lifespan?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Atmichaels

Post by Atmichaels »

Thank you Viktor! I'd blame the livebearers as well except they're from my own stock, not garbage feeder fish. I just don't know what could have caused this in the microglanis only and left the rest of my stock presumably unharmed.

I don't think I can blame age either as these guys are probably between 2 and 2.5 years old.

I do appreciate your input!
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Other fish may have generally stronger immune system in your water and tank or may have an in-born immunity to the bacteria, virus, or parasite that affected your catfish. The bent shape is symptomatic IIRC of damage to the spinal nerve or central nervous system, a late symptom of an advanced disease...barring perhaps a worm that afflicts the nerves, brain or such. Looks like the catfish have not eaten in a long, long time. If they had been plum before, I'd say at least several months, as they are emaciated.

Most usually, such an outcome comes about for a reason. The fish either picked up a bad pathogen or have been stressed somehow (which, sadly and easily, can be accomplished in many ways) which prevented them from overcoming an ordinary pathogen or both, I'd think.

Any chance of an exposure to toxic heavy metals - iron, copper, nickel, chrome, etc. long-term? (Can be an accident or come with a piece of furniture, etc.). These IIRC have been connected to immune system damage and tumors. Stainless steel is ok. Galvanized is not AFAIK.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Atmichaels

Post by Atmichaels »

If there is heavy metal poisoning it would have to be from my tap water. There is nothing metal in the tank.

I've been keeping a close eye on the one remaining microglanis while trying not to stress her out. She appears to be at a healthy weight and isn't exhibiting any outward symptoms of distress.

Again, thank you for your input!
Brian2014
My cats species list: 4 (i:4, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:4, p:54)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Birmingham uk

Post by Brian2014 »

I am sorry to hear about your fish

Now i am no expert, but from what you have said (and after checking all the water chemistry) plus the fact you use guppies as live food i would guess at wasting Disease!which i know from firsthand Endler/Guppies can and do carry this! Synonyms: Fish tuberculosis, piscine tuberculosis, acid-fast disease, granuloma Some of signs to look out for include: Lethargy, anorexia, fin and scale loss, exopthalmia, emaciation, skin inflammation and ulceration, edema, peritonitis and nodules in muscles that may deform the fish excess mucus and white stringy feces.

I would treat with API general cure (but as the active ingredients are metro/prazi you could try interpet anti internal bacteria) + usnea or Kanamycin (which is one of the Best Systemic antibiotic for fish) + vitamin B6 i would do this in a quarantine tank

I could be wrong, but that is my 2cent something to try if you are still having problems and i hope you can save the other microglanis and that no other fish become ill

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”