L027 damaged its tail fin

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
BazzNL
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:7)
Location 2: The Netherlands

L027 damaged its tail fin

Post by BazzNL »

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago my L027 damaged its tail fin when he knocked over some spider wood. I think he cut himself in a fork on the bottom that I use for feeding him zucchini (now I use spoons). Specifically, he cut off a bit of the bottom part of his tail fin where the fin extends, like it also does at the top part of the tail fin (about 1 cm was lost).

Does anyone know if this will grow back eventually? The fish is about 20-25 cm. There is, and was, no injury visible and the point where it broke off is not infected or discoloured in any way. The fish looks and acts perfectly healthy.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Bas
WouterW
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Netherlands

Re: L027 damaged its tail fin

Post by WouterW »

Hi Bas,

Do you mean the part where the caudal fin rays start (on the fish' side)? In general that parts of fins and tails won't grow back I thought?
BazzNL

Post by BazzNL »

Hi, it's not where it starts (on the fish side) but half way in the direction of the tail tip. Too bad if it doesn't grow back :(..
Juiceyfish
My cats species list: 24 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Charlottetown

Post by Juiceyfish »

BazzNL wrote:Hi, it's not where it starts (on the fish side) but half way in the direction of the tail tip. Too bad if it doesn't grow back :(..
It may don't lose hope.... I had a pleco that swam up into my hob filter and was there for a week almost ... When I found it, he was sitting on top of the media bag but his dorsal and tail fin were both rotted or dried up due to being out of the water for such a long period of time but after two months it pretty well fully healed mind you the fish was pretty stressed and I didn't see it for a few week after I put it back in the tank but still going strong!!Image here's a pic after he healed ! I still can't find the pic where he lost his fins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthewfaulkner
I've donated: $61.00!
My images: 42
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Spotted: 26
Location 1: Wales
Location 2: UK
Interests: Panaque

Post by matthewfaulkner »

Several of my Panaque have broken portions of their caudal/tail fin, both the harder rays and the fleshy soft portions, and they've always grown back. It may not grow back precisely how it was before, but it will recover if the fish and environment is healthy.
Matthew
BazzNL

Post by BazzNL »

Thanks for sharing some first hand experience. Fish is healthy and keeping its environment healthy is the ambition :)!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”