Moss

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
xtro34
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 1: england
Location 2: london

Moss

Post by xtro34 »

Hi All, just starting to keep Plecos, quick question, what would be the best type of Moss to have in the tank, is the tank better with Moss in?
shrimpkeeper222
My cats species list: 5 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Location 1: South Korea
Location 2: Earth
Interests: Fish Keeping, Shrimp Keeping, Logic Problem solving, Minecraft, Bird Watching

Re: Moss

Post by shrimpkeeper222 »

Um, personally I love moss. i keep peacock, flame and java moss. And they are great for shrimps, young fish and small fish. Also, it grows fast and it is easy to keep in low light and low CO2 conditions. But I dont have much experience with moss and plec, except when I kept a L-144(False) in my shrimp tank. The ancistrus didn't graze on the moss, so I guess they dont really use it as grazing spot-just a hideout maybe. For plecs, I dont think moss it that good, but moss is good in general.
Bee Shrimp will be shrimp!
RCS(Red Cherry Shrimp) are CS(Cherry Shrimp)!
A man o' shrimps keeps amano shrimps!
pleconut
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 35 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:4, p:154)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Bournemouth
Location 2: UK

Post by pleconut »

I can't say if moss is good for plecos. If their fins etc will get caught up in it would be my question, suppose it depends on the type and density of the moss and the size of the plecos. Also if it's being attached to wood also making sure there still an area of wood available for them to eat. But saying all this I've just purchased some spirulina powder for BN fry that I'm thinking of coating some marimo moss balls with for feeding. Although the ones i mean are not actually moss but a form of algae anyway.
Thanks Teresa
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
xtro34 wrote:Hi All, just starting to keep Plecos, quick question, what would be the best type of Moss to have in the tank, is the tank better with Moss in?
shrimpkeeper222 wrote:Um, personally I love moss. i keep peacock, flame and java moss. And they are great for shrimps, young fish and small fish. Also, it grows fast and it is easy to keep in low light and low CO2 conditions. But I dont have much experience with moss and plec, except when I kept a L-144(False) in my shrimp tank. The ancistrus didn't graze on the moss, so I guess they dont really use it as grazing spot-just a hideout maybe. For plecs, I dont think moss it that good, but moss is good in general.
I'm a moss fan as well, I think it aids fry survival in small fry, not sure if it makes any difference for plecs.

Personally I'd go for Java Moss, cheap to buy and very adaptable. If you are in the UK? I can send you a moss starter pack with a few different mosses (for P&P).

cheers Darrel
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:38)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2674)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

I agree with all of the above. I keep a huge mass of java moss (and some stringy plant that I don't recognize) in my baby bristlenose tank. They don't eat it, but they hide in it, and I figure it helps (but only a little) with water quality.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
pleconut
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 35 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:4, p:154)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Bournemouth
Location 2: UK

Post by pleconut »

Another one on my supplies list, Java moss. But will dunking it in spiriluna powder help or hinder fry survival.
Thanks Teresa
xtro34
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 1: england
Location 2: london

Post by xtro34 »

Thank you for that

Cheers Stu
VelcroWY
Location 1: Cheyenne
Location 2: Wyoming

Post by VelcroWY »

I have massive amounts of Java Moss in several tanks. My Ancistrous & Farlowella adults avoid it. Babies of all type hide in it.

Return to “Speak Easy”