CORYDORAS EXPERTS! Will these Hybridize? Dwarf Corydora x Dwarf Cory, or x Aspidoras

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Phish
Location 1: USA
Location 2: West

CORYDORAS EXPERTS! Will these Hybridize? Dwarf Corydora x Dwarf Cory, or x Aspidoras

Post by Phish »

Is there any chance Aspidoras would crossbreed with Corydoras?
Was thinking of keeping A. pauciradiatus with dwarf Corydoras species (C. pygmaeus, and/or C. hastatus, and/or C. habrosus). What about any other Aspidoras species possibly crossbreeding with Corydoras for that matter (haven't fully decided on what species of Aspidoras to breed yet, most likely will be another species though, one of the "peppered"-C. paleatus-looking Aspirdora species, like A. spilotus or A. albater).

If I kept "all 3 dwarf Corydoras" species together, C. pygmaeus, C. hastatus, and C. habrosus together, is there any chance of them hybridizing?

And that brings me to my last question, there has been talk about dwarf Corydoras not eating eggs or fry, is that true for all the aforementioned species?
C. pygmaeus, C. hastatus and C. habrosus. How about Aspidora species as well?

Just to note, my intention is to breed all these species in the same tank (180 gallon), I do NOT want them to hybridize which is why I am asking for clarification. Each species group would have at least 15 members, but still, just think of worst case scenario when answering if they would hybridize or not. Want to know if it's scientifically impossible or not.

Hoping to get expert input. But personal/amateur experiences are valued as well.
Please don't just say "stick with one species so you know there won't be hybrids."
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:38)
My aquaria list: 40 (i:17)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2674)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: CORYDORAS EXPERTS! Will these Hybridize? Dwarf Corydora x Dwarf Cory, or x Aspidoras

Post by bekateen »

I'm no expert on Aspidoras and dwarf corys, so I can't answer your question from experience. However, you should look at this post (Re: Corey hybrid: Panda + Julii/Trilineatus) which has links to other threads that itemize the known cory hybrids. Maybe you'll find more info there.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
gossei
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:3)
Spotted: 7
Location 2: Baltimore, Maryland

Re: CORYDORAS EXPERTS! Will these Hybridize? Dwarf Corydora x Dwarf Cory, or x Aspidoras

Post by gossei »

At various times, I've kept C. pygmaeus with C. habrosus, Aspidoras pauciradiatus and/or Aspidoras sp. CW052 with no interbreeding.

Blaise
VelcroWY
Location 1: Cheyenne
Location 2: Wyoming

Post by VelcroWY »

Most Corydoras do not cross breed if they have male-female of their own species. Some Corydoras combinations do not produce viable off-spring when they do not cross breed.

With that said, I've never heard of a Corydoras cross breeding with Aspidoras. I suppose it would be possible, but I seriously doubt it.
Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,
Phish wrote:Was thinking of keeping A. pauciradiatus with dwarf Corydoras species (C. pygmaeus, and/or C. hastatus, and/or C. habrosus).
in general I would agree with the aforementioned low risk that Aspidoras spp. would hybridize with corys.
However, "Aspidoras" pauciradiatus is not really an Aspidoras even though it officially has not yet been transfered to another genus.
I guess this is mainly to the fact that this would also necessitate a revision of the affected genera which is an enormeous task.
"Aspidoras" pauciradiatus is more closely related to the elegans group just as Corydoras hastatus and Corydoras pygmaeus. Therefore I would not recommend this combination.
"Aspidoras" pauciradiatus is anyway a real challenge for the breeder, whereas the other two species are rather easy to breed.
Phish wrote:If I kept "all 3 dwarf Corydoras" species together, C. pygmaeus, C. hastatus, and C. habrosus together, is there any chance of them hybridizing?
I would rather leave away C. pygmaeus or C. hastatus as they are both closely related and add C. habrosus which belongs to completely different lineage.

Even if there are positive examples (that they didn't interbreed) this doesn't mean that they will never do it.
I also kept for some time C. panda and C. trilineatus (~10 specimen each) in the same tank without any hybrids produced
even though I saw some mating attempts of the C. panda males, luckily without success (after witnessing this I separated the two groups).
But there are several examples that it did happen with this combination...

Cheers,
--

Karsten
Phish
Location 2: West

Post by Phish »

Thanks for the info everyone!

I've never heard of Aspidoras pauciradiatus being reconsidered of being of the Corydoras genus. I thought A. pauciradiatus does indeed have 6 rays in their dorsal fin? Not enough to categorize them as the Aspidoras genus? Have any references that discuss the possible reclassification of A. pauciradiatus? Not challenging what you have said, I am just interested to read more on it.

By the way, A. pauciradiatus have bred just as easy as C. pygmaeus, C. hastatus and C. habrosus, each have for me. I know a local breeder that does so very easily as well with the same common Corydoras spawning triggers.

Any info. on C. pymaeus and C. hastatus being of the same lineage? Just haven't read any literature on that (will try to do some searches) I mean I can picture that because of their different body shape, having them be more inclined to swim/hover mid-water column. And I can see how their size relates them to the elegans group, though elegans group do have slightly different body/head shapes.

I would most likely just stick with C. hastatus, C. habrosus and one Aspidoras species, leaving out C. pygmaeus as there are already a ton of them in the hobby.
Hmmm, just out of curiosity, how about Corydoras cochui? (looks similar to C. habrosus)

I guess I would just have to try them all in the same tank, watch their behavior and with any offspring produced, just wait until the young are at a suitable age to judge their true species, or whether or not there are any signs of hybrid offspring.

I've heard that C. panda are known to more likely interbreed with other species.

Really do appreciate the replies everyone!

Are the "senior" (not calling you guys old haha) members/experts like coryman (Ian Fuller) still active on this forum? Hope they are still in good health. Their discoveries in the field have not gone unnoticed or unappreciated.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”