BN plecs and african cichlids

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
littletoot2016
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:5)
Location 1: Santa Clara,Ca. USA
Location 2: Santa Clara, Ca. USA
Interests: keeping fish. and fishing (killing fish) though sometimes I kill both.

BN plecs and african cichlids

Post by littletoot2016 »

Hi, I'm new to the site and don't know much about plecs. I have a 360 gallon tank with about 150 Africans, most of which 3 to 5 inches, lots of rocks and hiding places. Would a 2.5 to 3 inch BN be able to live in this tank? If I put them in, I'd do about 12 (safety in numbers) I think, but don' really know if that applies to plecs ? Any help you can give me would be GREAT!!! Thanks, Harry
iSynoCat
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: England
Location 2: Hertfordshire

Re: BN plecs and african cichlids

Post by iSynoCat »

I have 2 BNs with my africans but my setup is 60g and they are all still juveniles. Also I have done the opposite thing to what most cichlid keepers do and have understocked (just testing things out and the fish actually seem really happy.)

BN's are hardy and have no problem with high ph levels (just don't go too far). I also agree that you should get 12, even though the safety in numbers thingy dosent make a difference. Also try to add some bogwood to the tank,(I don't think it's necessary but it's just kind of accepted that they like to have it). I suggest you try it out and see what happens but just be careful, those africans can be abit nasty.
littletoot2016
Interests: keeping fish. and fishing (killing fish) though sometimes I kill both.

Post by littletoot2016 »

Thanks for your reply, I'm going to put some wood in. One thing you need to watch in your tank is when the Africans get older, they get much more aggressive with each other and start singling each other out. That's why too many is a good thing. They can't pick a fish to kill as easy. Thanks again for your help, Harry
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

It's a good idea to add a few hiding spots that the plecos fit into, while the cichlids do not. That usually keeps them quite safe. 12 is going to be a bit of overkill, IMO, so you'll want to feed them extra wafers or sinking food or you'll starve some out.

Barbie
littletoot2016

Post by littletoot2016 »

Barbie, do you think 6 BN could control my algae in a 360, and what size BN should I get? Thanks, Harry
iSynoCat

Post by iSynoCat »

littletoot2016 wrote:Thanks for your reply, I'm going to put some wood in. One thing you need to watch in your tank is when the Africans get older, they get much more aggressive with each other and start singling each other out. That's why too many is a good thing. They can't pick a fish to kill as easy. Thanks again for your help, Harry
Thanks most of my africans have been moved on and will re-stock with africans in a few weeks (probably a few months, way too tempting to get some pictus cats.) Will do normal african stocking then.
littletoot2016 wrote:Barbie, do you think 6 BN could control my algae in a 360, and what size BN should I get? Thanks, Harry
If you want to control algae the africans will do it for you, even if it seems like they aren't. 6 is enough ,stock the bn's depending on how many "bn only" hiding places you can fit in.
littletoot2016

Post by littletoot2016 »

So the BN's need caves. do you think a lot of rocks (600 pounds) won't be enough hiding places. Please let me know what you guy and gales think. Thanks" Harry
iSynoCat

Post by iSynoCat »

600 pounds sounds a lot. However it is completely useless if all you have done is created a lot of beautiful swim-thrus. The plecos need hiding places that only they can get into. Somewhere they can feel safe without getting barged at by african cichlids. I also appreciate the effort of creating these "pleco-only caves" whilst making it fit in with the tank and have been through the whole thing myself. Currently my plecs and the syno are enjoying the tank all to themselves while I ponder over the millions of fish in my lfs. Good luck, perhaps post a picture of your setup?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”