Dancing Farlowella

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jp11biod
I've donated: $372.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: NW Indiana

Dancing Farlowella

Post by jp11biod »

I had an interesting experience yesterday. This was the first time I had seen this behaviour though my Farlowella had spawned for me several times leaving me with about 15 young. Two fish, about 7" each and spawn of the others, were wrapped up in what I can only call a ballet for over 15 minutes. There was mouth to mouth contact and a continual exchanging of positions with one fish rolling around the other in a vertical position and then the other would do the same. Most of this happened at the surface of my 125 g tank, mostly in the stream of the canister discharge, and at the surface of the water, both their rostrums poking out of the water often. Interesting and fun to watch. It was so well choreographed that I am sure it is courting behaviour and not sparring. Had anyone else seen this behaviour before?

posting.php?mode=post&f=5#
Mol_PMB
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 5
My cats species list: 37 (i:32, k:1)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:9)
My BLogs: 8 (i:34, p:416)
Spotted: 14
Location 2: Manchester UK

Re: Dancing Farlowella

Post by Mol_PMB »

I have seen behaviour approaching this with my Farlowellas, but only once. In that case it was two adult males and I think they were sparring.
The behaviour of these fish when swimming/interacting in open water appears very bizarre but they're fascinating creatures.
I've raised several generations of them now and still love my twig cats!
Cheers,
Paul

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”