gold nugget tank furniture???

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Reality
Location 1: California
Interests: fish

gold nugget tank furniture???

Post by Reality »

I was planning on setting up a tank for some gold nugget plecos but i wanted to know what type of decor i needed. Substrate i'm planning on using is sand and have a few pieces of driftwood here and there. It's also gonna be a semi-planted tank. For filtration i was gonna use an emperor 400, fluval 304, and a penguin 330. temp at 80F. Is the filtration a little much? I was thinking of not using the penguin but i have a bunch of filters lying around the house.
JohnnyOscar
Location 1: London, UK

Post by JohnnyOscar »

I've got a couple of 2" L177 gold nuggets in a 40 gallon tank (along with 10 baby kuhli loaches, a few cichlid fry and a brooding cichlid mum).

One of the L177s spends most of the day sucking on the side of a fluval 3 cannister filter. The other spends his days either hiding in a driftwood tangle or in a rock pile. The rock pile was designed for the cichlids (lots of tight crevices and few nices caves for mum) but they hardly use it--mum spends most of her time hiding behind the filter and the fry tend to hang out in the plants at the other end of the tank.

At night the L177s are all over the place (and often together). They do tend to eat some plants, but not all. I've got about 10 aponogenon (sp?) bulbs in there, which they don't touch at all.

The only filtration I use is the fluval 3 and a powerhead-driven undergravel filter (loach paradise?) covering 2.5' of the 4' tank length. I do 20%-30% water changes every once in a while. The water is crystal clean with a good current and the fish appear happy, so I guess I'm not doing anything too wrong.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”