How should I treat imported wild catfish for unknown health isuues

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
mutlap
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: United States
Location 2: Baltimore
Interests: Corydoras, Ancestris

How should I treat imported wild catfish for unknown health isuues

Post by mutlap »

Hi

I rarely post anything but have a question.

The best way to treat corydoras that come from the wild for worms or any other unknown issues with wild fish.

Any help appreciated
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: How should I treat imported wild catfish for unknown health isuues

Post by TwoTankAmin »

There are two schools of thought on this. Some folks believe in in treating imports prophylactically. others prefer to wait until they can see evidence of the need to treat for specific problems. Worms and parasites being the most common things with which new wild fish arrive.

Medicating cause some level of stress on the fish. When there is a known problem one is treating, then the curative value of medicating will almost always outweigh the potential harm from stress. However. if we treat when it is actually not needed, this for sure will stress the fish which may in turn weaken them resulting in their having problems they did not.

I always bring new wild fish into Q tanks where they must remain for months. The tanks are bare bottom with minimal cover- enough for the fish to feel and be safe. This allows me to monitor both their behavior and whether food is being consumed and what is happening poop-wise. So I am in the camp of not medicating unless I see cause. This is my way not the only way obviously.

As for meds for deworming and parasites, here is what I keep on hand: Flubendazole, Levamisole HCL, Metronidazole, Praziquantel and Quick Cure. I also have or make medicated food with some things. Of the above meds, the one which might cause problems with side effects would be the Quick Cure.

I am sure other folks who work more with imports than I do will be able to offer better advice on treating on arrival or a better list of meds.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Return to “Speak Easy”