Feeding Ancistrus Medusa L034

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
MMurray
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 11 (i:0, p:507)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 7
Location 1: USA - Massachusetts
Location 2: USA

Feeding Ancistrus Medusa L034

Post by MMurray »

What are people feeding their L034s? I have tried over 15 different foods and they don't seem to be fond of anything. I've tried close to 10 types of sinking pellets, repashy, bloodworms, brine, other frozen foods, sweet potato, greens beans, and some other random foods. I expect this species to eat a lot due to how large/wide they are. Is it possible that I'm just over feeding and they are eating way less than I am expecting?

Any brand names and specific foods that are working for your L034 would be appreciated.
flatfish
I've donated: $80.00!
My cats species list: 44 (i:33, k:17)
My BLogs: 19 (i:97, p:1085)
Spotted: 30
Location 1: Wellington
Location 2: New Zealand

Re: Feeding Ancistrus Medusa L034

Post by flatfish »

Hi MMurray,

I have a group of adults (2 males, 5 females) and they seem to be doing well on either a mix of Repashy Bottom Scratcher and Soilent Green or JBF NovoTab and Hikari Algal wafers. To give you an idea of how much to feed, 4 Novotab and 2 Hikari Algal wafers each night seems to work well. The previous owner breed them several times on the same sort of food and quantities but no luck for me yet :).

cheers

Darren
MMurray

Post by MMurray »

Darren,

Mine show no interest in algae wafers is bizarre. I left a single wafer in the tank and it was untouched the next morning. Mine are 3.5-4" as well, they are not babies. I am going to order the Novotabs tonight, they seem to be a favorite food of aquarist outside of the US.

Thanks!
jac
My articles: 3
My images: 71
My cats species list: 84 (i:0, k:28)
My BLogs: 15 (i:16, p:755)
Spotted: 45
Location 1: Ede
Location 2: Holland
Interests: Fish of all types but mostly Loricariidae, Callichthyidae and Auchenipteridae. My awesome dogs and walking through nature and taking pictures.

Post by jac »

What about the conditions you're keeping them in? Most times when fish don't eat it's because something else is not quite right. They need warm water, high oxygen levels, some current, clean water (lot's of fresh waterchanges) and lot's of hiding places. Make sure they are free of parasites too.
My simple guideline for fish keeping is; create a good living space for them with everything they require, when fish feel safe and well they will always eat, when feeling and feeding well they will breed. For some fish that timescale will be within 2-3 months (new fish to breed), but others can take years of steady care to start breeding. Be patient.
I have a group of 6 and I feed them only Repashy.
Every great achievement begins with a dream ;-)
flatfish

Post by flatfish »

Good points Jac. Also, Repashy is fantastic food and if I didn't go away for work from time to time that's all I would use.
MMurray

Post by MMurray »

Update for others having issues feeding this species,

They're definitely eating, I think it just took some time for them to get comfortable. The food they seem to like turned out to be Ken's Premium 5 Stick Blend. This makes a lot of sense since these are Omnivores and the combination 5 different smelling/tasting foods probably makes it hard for them to resist. This food is made up of cichlid sticks, spirulina sticks, color sticks, earthworm sticks, and veggie sticks. I don't think this food will become a staple for them however offering a variety is something I always strive to do and this food makes it really easy.
flatfish

Post by flatfish »

Hi MMurray.

Great to hear that they are now eating well.

cheers

Darren
MMurray

Post by MMurray »

Sorry all,

I didn't address the later half of my mentioned issue, I was NOT overfeeding, in fact I'm still experimenting with how much this group consumes. They are PIGS, straight up swine, I underestimated what they consume by about 50%. This was mostly in part to recognizing they weren't touching foods that I put in the tank and I was being cautious of water quality. Once you see the waste these things produce its gives you a lot of relief that they're thriving not just surviving.

Matt

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”