Why fish keeping never ceases to amaze me

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Why fish keeping never ceases to amaze me

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Yesterday I was doing much needed maintenance and a water change on my Altum angel tank. While the angels are doing well, the school of rummy nose tetras has gradually shrunk to four fish and the two juvenile H. contradens that went into the tank about 4 years ago had not lasted. I found the corpse of one about w years ago and never saw any sign of the second. I assume it was eaten or else rotted to a pile of scales inside the rock work.

There is a pile of river rocks and wood on the middle of the tank which is where the plecos would hang out and there ere two caves as well. I removed the caves when there were no more plecos left to use them. Over time the rocks had built up a coating of algae and I decided to flip one over to expose the clean side.

To my surprise under that rock was a perfectly healthy adult contradens. I was for sure amazed because I had looked for the second fish on and off after I found the other body and assumed it too was gone. Most of all I was happy it had survived. It was almost as nice as finding a new spawn. It is moments like this that help keep things new even after almost 19 years of doing this.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Re: Why fish keeping never ceases to amaze me

Post by Jobro »

Haha :D what a pleasant surprise.

It is indeed always great to find a fish you did not expect.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”