Chaetostoma ID

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Dimidiata
My cats species list: 7 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Palmetto, FL
Location 2: United States

Chaetostoma ID

Post by Dimidiata »

Grabbed these youngsters as commons for $2 ea. Definitely Chaetostoma but not sure which sp yet. Fully spotted if it helps and no belly plates of course. Don't look like my formosa so im not sure.
PHOTO_20190405_172017.jpg
PHOTO_20190405_185457.jpg
Attachments
PHOTO_20190405_194734.jpg
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Chaetostoma ID

Post by bekateen »

More than likely . One of my favorites!

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Dimidiata

Post by Dimidiata »

Oh wow so theyll stay pretty small then?
Dimidiata

Post by Dimidiata »

I looked at L188 too and that also looked very similar
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Dimidiata wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 02:48I looked at L188 too and that also looked very similar
Yes it sure does. :-)

I bought some a couple of years ago (described here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=43789) and I also thought they were . But from talking to experts I learned that C. nudirostre comes from an area that is not open to collecting, whereas C. dorsale is readily available in the pet trade. So just considering probability, and without specific collection data from the exporter, the most likely answer is C. dorsale.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Dimidiata

Post by Dimidiata »

Awesome good to know
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

Dimidiata wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 02:46 Oh wow so theyll stay pretty small then?
My C. dorsale barely grew over the ~3 years, having acquired in at auction at ~4cm SL, it was ~5cm SL when it mysteriously passed away.

My C. formosae (which comes from same area as above in wild) has now been with me just over 4 years, bought at ~4cm SL and is now ~5cm SL.

My provisionally IDed C. juropo has now been with me for just over 7 years, having acquired it from MartinS on here, it has grown from ~5cm SL to ~9cm SL... Very similar growth rate to my two provisionally IDed C. sp. L445, again just over 7 years with me now, growing from ~5cm SL to ~8cm SL.

One possible explanation for the different growth rates of the above that all live(d) in the same tank is that maybe the water was a little too warm for the C. dorsale and formosae, so their metabolic rate was increased, requiring more nutrition just to maintain their size.

Do you know what the midwater fish is in your final photo? It's not completely in focus, but looks conceivable that it could be a Pareutropius sp.
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
Dimidiata

Post by Dimidiata »

N0body Of The Goat wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 16:26
Dimidiata wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 02:46 Oh wow so theyll stay pretty small then?
My C. dorsale barely grew over the ~3 years, having acquired in at auction at ~4cm SL, it was ~5cm SL when it mysteriously passed away.

My C. formosae (which comes from same area as above in wild) has now been with me just over 4 years, bought at ~4cm SL and is now ~5cm SL.

My provisionally IDed C. juropo has now been with me for just over 7 years, having acquired it from MartinS on here, it has grown from ~5cm SL to ~9cm SL... Very similar growth rate to my two provisionally IDed C. sp. L445, again just over 7 years with me now, growing from ~5cm SL to ~8cm SL.

One possible explanation for the different growth rates of the above that all live(d) in the same tank is that maybe the water was a little too warm for the C. dorsale and formosae, so their metabolic rate was increased, requiring more nutrition just to maintain their size.

Do you know what the midwater fish is in your final photo? It's not completely in focus, but looks conceivable that it could be a Pareutropius sp.
Ive been communicating with a collector/importer/breeder of catfish and he agrees with the ID and mentioned that in his experience chaetostoma grow slow which is congruent to your experience.
The midwater is a Least Killifish. This is actually a 15gal florida biotope(everything visible is naturally collected sand included) . Im calling the little guys florida rubbernose to not throw off the theme XP. Technically the B.verracosus isnt native either.

Return to “What is my catfish?”