Sterbai Eggs!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Sterbai Eggs!

Post by Barbie »

I know, I know, I keep loris, not cories, but I just found eggs in the tank I had recently put the sterbai in to heal up, after a mauling at the barbels of my botia. Not just a few eggs, 65 or more that are clear, and maybe 10 that looked opaque like they might not be fertile. Not too bad for a first spawn! I'm a softie, and collected all of the eggs and put them in a specimen container, floating in the main tank with an air stone. I'll be heading down to the local Walmart in the morning for a 10 gallon tank, I suppose. For some reason, when Bob said "yippee, more catfish", I didn't get the feeling he was totally sincere... Oh well :lol: we'll have to see if I can manage to raise any of them, before he needs to worry anyway, hehe.

Barbie
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi Barbie!

Congratulation in spawning these beauties...
Next L260... :wink:
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Coryologist
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 11
My cats species list: 70 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Laurel Lake, NJ
Location 2: Laurel Lake, NJ
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

Sterbai Eggs

Post by Coryologist »

Congratulations, Barbie. I just informed mine that they are making me look bad and to "get with the program." Wishing you many wigglers. - Frank/Guppyman
Herman63
Location 1: Kentucky, USA

Post by Herman63 »

Congrats Barbie :D :D :D :D
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Nice one Barbie,

If you have any Java moss, a little clump in the egg container helps to keep the water sweet.

Ian
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

Thanks everyone! Java moss is definitely something I have plenty of! I did add an air stone in there also. Do you use any methylene blue or something for fungus? It's been YEARS since I raised angels, and we used it then, but I know there has been some debate about it lately.

I suppose now I need to go track down some articles so I have a clue when they're going to hatch and what not! So much for them not spawning until I put them in a tank of their own!

Barbie
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Barbie, They will start hatching after 4 days and be free swimming after another 2. I used to put a little meth blue in the egg container, but now with sterbai I leave the egge in the spawning tank for 3 days before moving them. (you had moved the egge before I could tell you) I fould I got a far better hatch rate, so long as the adults didn't eat to many.

Ian
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

Well, they spawned in a 55 gallon tank full of albino ancistrus and a large male black A. compressiceps, so leaving them just wasn't an option. Hopefully a few will hatch at least. I DID use their tank water in the container and I've changed 50% of it out twice now with the tank water, and their container is floating in the main tank. I also added the java moss. All I can do now, is pray :) Maybe at some point I'll have space to give them a tank of their own :)

Barbie

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”