Title suggestions for the Asian cat book

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Title suggestions for the Asian cat book

Post by Silurus »

This is a follow up post to the previous topic. Just want to pick the collective brains of the wonderful people in this forum.
What would be a good title for the Asian catfish book ? I was thinking "Southeast Asian Catfish for the Advanced Hobbyist", but somehow it comes out sounding like a technical manual.
Any good ideas for a title with some oomph (bearing in mind that the focus of the book will only be on Southeast Asian cats) ?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

"Handbook of Southeast Asian Catfishes"?

HH, I would really love to see us do it in many parts as I believe that the Bagridae could take up its own book. Ian can certainly help us with regards to self publishing ideas.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Shane,

While the idea of doing it in many parts sounds appealing, I just think that we will have very thin books once we are done with the bagrids and the silurids.
I have my own reasons for doing it as one biggish book, namely sio that I can get it out of my way and concentrate on my dissertation research.
We could take a market poll to see if people preferseveral small books or one big book, if you want.
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

Taking a page from FAO's book: "Guide to the Freshwater Fishes of Asia"
:?
Achim
Location 1: Europe, Germany,federal state Hessen, Marburg, Lahn river.
Interests: south american catfish, catfish in general, ostariophysi in general.

Post by Achim »

Hi,

what about simply "The Catfishes of Southeast Asia"?
About that self-publishing: I don't know if someone has ever done this before anf maybe an audaciously idea, but though most people nowadays have computers, what about only distributing it as .pdf via the internet ? The question is if you want to make some money with the book, because that way it beomes difficult with distributing via .pdf. U can establish payed downloads, but i think it will be nearly impossible evading people to make unauthorized copies of that .pdf. But i don't now exactly about the technology to evade that.

Greetings... Achim
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

It'll be a labor of love (i.e. I'm not interested in the money).
The pdf idea sounds interesting, but I think many people would still rather have a traditional paper copy of the book. You gotta love the smell of paper and glue.
Achim
Location 1: Europe, Germany,federal state Hessen, Marburg, Lahn river.
Interests: south american catfish, catfish in general, ostariophysi in general.

Post by Achim »

Hi Heok Hee,
It'll be a labor of love (i.e. I'm not interested in the money).
I never suspected anything else :).
many people would still rather have a traditional paper copy of the book.
You are right about that. But you can print it youself if you like (I always print all my papers and quire larger ones like Doctoral Thesis).
In molecular biology its quite usual to get all papers via Internet (unfortunatly there is no "Pubmed for Systematics", or is there one i don't know of? ).
The great advantage in distributing it via .pdf: You spare the cost for printing it, everyone all over the world can get it without problems, u don't need to rely on inferior copies if the book is out of print.
Well i guess in the end there will be both: printed and .pdf (hopefully;)).

Greetings... Achim

Return to “Asian Catfishes”