Potassium permanganate and South Am. Species

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Pleko_Fur777
My cats species list: 3 (i:1, k:3)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 3
Location 1: USA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos and Corydoras

Potassium permanganate and South Am. Species

Post by Pleko_Fur777 »

Hi everyone. I was wondering how many people here use Potassium Permanganate in early stages of QT for new Corydoras and Plecos? Can anyone share their experience(s)? Thanks
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Potassium permanganate and South Am. Species

Post by bekateen »

Hi Pleko_Fur777,

I never use Potassium permanganate as a QT. It's a very strong drug and can be very harmful to fishes. I won't say I'm the best example of how to QT, but I think most people stay away from that because of its toxicity.

Cheers,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

We routinely use PP to treat incoming fish before QT or even bypassing QT. Not on cories (we don't deal with them) but many times on common pleco from 6" to ~2ft. We use the commonly suggested concentrations for short term baths in the 2 to 10 ppm, sometimes up to 25-50 ppm, depending on the fish, where it came from, what it can handle, how long a bath it can handle.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

PP als Victor named the stuff, is a fierce oxydator. That is, it will cause certain harm to tissue, and this harm is intended to kill parasites and deseases, while the fish will survive this.

Still, all fish are especially vulnerable in their gills. And in case one would use PP - please provide the fish afterwards with the best circumstances. That is, clean water in order to get the most oxygen in the water and plenty oxygen in the water.

Further I would recommend hiding places. Lack of these - especially for catfish, that is, hiding fishes, this lack will cause stress, and stress slows all healing - not good when you know the fish will need some healing.

Obviously, in a quarantaine tank one would like to be able to see the fish, in order to assess whehter they are still healthy, but I think reducing stress should take prevenlance
cats have whiskers
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Very good and agreeable tips.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com