Are these two different ancistrus?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Casscats
My cats species list: 15 (i:3, k:15)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:5, p:54)
Spotted: 19
Location 1: Ontario
Location 2: Canada

Are these two different ancistrus?

Post by Casscats »

So I thought both were domestics, I got from separate sources at different times. Both from local owners, not from stores. Just generically called bristlenose plecos, so I assumed the usual cf cirrhosis as is usually the case.

Comparing them to one another, the male is massive in size compared to the small female, and his fins are spotted instead of striped like the females are. Both have spots on belly, but the dorsal spots on the male are very small, fine spots.

Thoughts? Do domestic cf. Cirrhosis vary in markings?

Photos of them, including the size of the male, he is easily pushing 5-6"SL

Both are well over 2 years old or more.
20230817_174021-1.jpg
20230817_172318.jpg
20231210_185435.jpg
20231211_163313.jpg
20231204_162222.jpg
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Are these two different ancistrus?

Post by Shane »

Male looks typical. Check your female against A. triradiatus.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Casscats

Post by Casscats »

Shane wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 11:51 Male looks typical. Check your female against A. triradiatus.
-Shane
See how well I can identify ancistrus, I thought the female was the normal one haha...

Ya know, size wise that'd make sense. She's a little lady. I just figured she was just small lol

However, her spots are rather bold for triradiatus, no? These are present on dark wood or light sand, shes always got bright white spots
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

"However, her spots are rather bold for triradiatus, no? These are present on dark wood or light sand, shes always got bright white spots"

You can tell best as you can see the actual live fish. They have bred so many mutant "common bristle noses" now that color\pattern alone my not be enough to go on. Are all the fin ray counts the same on both fish?
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Casscats

Post by Casscats »

Shane wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 14:17 "However, her spots are rather bold for triradiatus, no? These are present on dark wood or light sand, shes always got bright white spots"

You can tell best as you can see the actual live fish. They have bred so many mutant "common bristle noses" now that color\pattern alone my not be enough to go on. Are all the fin ray counts the same on both fish?
-Shane
Female counts at 16 caudal rays, but I can't count on the male, he hides a lot and I never thought to get a tail open pic when I got him.

Dorsal rays female has 8
Male might have more than 8, but I'm still searching older photos to see if I can get a better count.

Female with fully opened fins, photo was taken last year
20220919_211357.jpg

Oh, but I do have a for sure domestic I can also reference for dorsal count, which he has more dorsal fin rays than the female here does, if that helps.

That domestic male looks to have 10+ dorsal rays.
20221128_203737.jpg
Casscats

Post by Casscats »

Which going back to triradiatus page, counting dorsal and caudal rays on the pictures there, the female lines up with the exact same count as those fish as well.

Return to “What is my catfish?”