6 week old cory fry and going on vacation

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
andrasti29
Location 1: Edinburgh
Location 2: Scotland

6 week old cory fry and going on vacation

Post by andrasti29 »

Hey all, this is my first post here.
So I have bronze cory fry that are 6 weeks old and about half an inch in size.
Currently they in a hang on fluval breeding box, I have about 40.
I’m going on holiday in a few days and just looking for advice to keep them alive while am away.
Should I just leave them all in the breeder (concerned about the mess in this as I siphon the crap out daily) or will it be safe to put in main tank that has 2 dwarf gouramis, guppies, platies, 2 bristle nose plecs and the adult corys.
Other options are to split and put some in my small QT tank aswell as in a 15l bucket I can fill with a sponge filter from my main tank.
What you all think? I will have someone come round every 2 days to feed while am away, will this be enough?
Thanks
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: 6 week old cory fry and going on vacation

Post by Shane »

Not sure how long you will be gone, but I have left my fish room alone and without any food on several occasions for up to three weeks with zero losses. Many South American fishes will go without food for months in the dry season in the wild.

At 1/2 inch they should be fine in the main tank.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Re: 6 week old cory fry and going on vacation

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Shane wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 20:22At 1/2 inch they should be fine in the main tank.
Same for me, pop them in the tank.

cheers Darrel

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”