corydoras habrosus sick

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
kiwidu21
My cats species list: 20 (i:4, k:5)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:17)
Spotted: 12
Location 1: France
Location 2: Côte D'Or

corydoras habrosus sick

Post by kiwidu21 »

Good morning

I come to you because I am having a problem with only corydoras habrosus.
I got the first ones a few months ago, picked up from a private person. I kept them for a few months and suddenly they started having the same symptoms one after the other:
-difficulty swimming
-weight loss
So the 4 I had died.
I had taken 3 again when ordering fish online and I again had the same symptoms and death of individuals.
On April 10, I received 11 new individuals (7 because 4 died on arrival). Two died the next day, I told myself it was because of the transport. But the deaths continue and I find the same symptoms mentioned above.
Thinking of verses I treated to esha ndx. I also took the opportunity to increase the temperature because they were at 19°C, I put them at 24°C.
Of the 4 still alive, I have one who is showing symptoms again.
I do not really know what to do anymore. They are currently in quarantine with Corydoras hastatus who arrived at the same time as them and the latter are doing wonderfully.

Are habrosus susceptible to a particular disease?
Manoah
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 1: Netherlands
Location 2: Netherlands
Interests: Biotope aquariums, corydoras sp, south american nature

Re: corydoras habrosus sick

Post by Manoah »

kiwidu21 wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 07:13 Good morning

I come to you because I am having a problem with only corydoras habrosus.
I got the first ones a few months ago, picked up from a private person. I kept them for a few months and suddenly they started having the same symptoms one after the other:
-difficulty swimming
-weight loss
So the 4 I had died.
I had taken 3 again when ordering fish online and I again had the same symptoms and death of individuals.
On April 10, I received 11 new individuals (7 because 4 died on arrival). Two died the next day, I told myself it was because of the transport. But the deaths continue and I find the same symptoms mentioned above.
Thinking of verses I treated to esha ndx. I also took the opportunity to increase the temperature because they were at 19°C, I put them at 24°C.
Of the 4 still alive, I have one who is showing symptoms again.
I do not really know what to do anymore. They are currently in quarantine with Corydoras hastatus who arrived at the same time as them and the latter are doing wonderfully.

Are habrosus susceptible to a particular disease?

Probably parasites. Try to get some from a diffrent store or suplier. Also do you have a picture?

Cheers,

Manoah
kiwidu21

Post by kiwidu21 »

Having treated with esha ndx, what other treatment do you recommend?
The last victim died yesterday. I'll try to take a photo of the remaining 3 if you ever see something that I don't see.
I noticed yesterday that there was one rubbing itself and I find their gills very red. Reason why I had treated with esha ndx which is supposed to eliminate gill worms.
The problem with suppliers is that few of them have any in France. It's a fairly rare species around here so I didn't have much choice...
I'm going to look to find another one but I would like to know the cause of death of the last ones first, just to be prepared.
Manoah

Post by Manoah »

kiwidu21 wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 05:59 Having treated with esha ndx, what other treatment do you recommend?
The last victim died yesterday. I'll try to take a photo of the remaining 3 if you ever see something that I don't see.
I noticed yesterday that there was one rubbing itself and I find their gills very red. Reason why I had treated with esha ndx which is supposed to eliminate gill worms.
The problem with suppliers is that few of them have any in France. It's a fairly rare species around here so I didn't have much choice...
I'm going to look to find another one but I would like to know the cause of death of the last ones first, just to be prepared.

Scratching themselves and red gills means parasites. Here in holland they are prety common. Try to find a store that has ruinemans as a suplier, they have good quality. Ehsa should do the job, but esha is a very old brand with the same compounds in it as 40 years ago. You could try esha 2000 or Colombo Dactycid. The thing is that c.habrosus are mostly wild cought, and they are collected in numbers of hundreds, to thousends of fish in a few tanks at the exporter. This means the quality goes bad if they are in there for too long. I would try to find out what suplier they use. Again, ruinemans is very good and they suply all over europe. They are based here in holland, so thats why i know they are good. And a foto would be good too becouse i can see what is wrong
kiwidu21

Post by kiwidu21 »

I looked for Ruinemans and I can order from France. On the other hand, I find that they have very little choice in terms of catfish...
Otherwise I have a wholesaler near me who offers acclimatized fish (so not just in transit), would this be a good solution?
On the other hand, he told me that it was the end of the season for habrosus...

I took the remaining 3 on video, they move too much and are often far from the windows (they are in a 96l). Hoping you can see if there is a problem.
The one in the last video swimming in the bubbler current looks a little thin to me.
https://youtu.be/fg0tu52Tp8s[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/x8SD2uxOQyA[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/V52be7CBtaY[/youtube]
Manoah

Post by Manoah »

kiwidu21 wrote: 21 Apr 2024, 08:08 I looked for Ruinemans and I can order from France. On the other hand, I find that they have very little choice in terms of catfish...
Otherwise I have a wholesaler near me who offers acclimatized fish (so not just in transit), would this be a good solution?
On the other hand, he told me that it was the end of the season for habrosus...

I took the remaining 3 on video, they move too much and are often far from the windows (they are in a 96l). Hoping you can see if there is a problem.
The one in the last video swimming in the bubbler current looks a little thin to me.
https://youtu.be/fg0tu52Tp8s[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/x8SD2uxOQyA[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/V52be7CBtaY[/youtube]

I can not watch the videos, maybe make some pictures. I could only watch the youtube video and They look fine to me. They are active, don’t have clumped fins and have their barbs. A sick fish will not swim like this. Could you get a close up to their fins. Also, ruinemans updates their fish list every few days. They only show what they have in stock right now. Next week you will probably see other fish or more fish on there website. Also their might be less catfish available but this is becouse there is a export prohibit from colombia. And colombia has one of the biggest ornamental fish exporters of south america. Import will start again around june. So corydoras habrosus and other catfish that are cought in colombia or venezuela will not be for sale the coming weeks, or atleast very little for sale. I believe the reason for this is becouse they violated some rules involving catching too many fish from a sertain region or something.

Cheers,
Manoah
kiwidu21

Post by kiwidu21 »

I haven't had any other deaths since the last post. I will still do the second part of the treatment because it must be repeated 2 weeks later for the nematodes.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”