Night time tank lighting

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
muridae
Location 1: Philadelphia, PA

Night time tank lighting

Post by muridae »

Okay, so I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm going to be setting up a 125 cat community tank this weekend. It's going to be in my bedroom and I'd like to have some gentle lighting at night, dark enough that the fish will feel comfortable coming out and swimming about, but bright enough that they'll be visible to us humans. I would rather have blue lights than red, as I find them much more attractive and calming. Drs Foster and Smith sell lots of different blue/night/moon lights, fixtures, and bulbs.

Doesn't seem like too many people use night lights on their catfish tanks, though. A search of the forums brought up only a few posts. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them before I go out and plunk down money on something that the catfish might completely hate.

Any brand recommendations?
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

I believe that there is a moon-simulation spotlight available in the US quite easily, I can't remember the trade name right now, it's popular with reefkeepers.
kateswan
Location 1: US, Northern MI

Post by kateswan »

I like using the laser light modules. I think the hi-light kinds
come in green, blue, purple, orange ... you can mix &
match or buy one color. Each module holds 5 lights ...
I use mine on a string of 20 gal. tanks, each with one light
inside, and I get just enough light to keep an eye on the
tank inhabitants at night.

Drs. Foster etc. sells them, so does Wal-Mart, probably
other places.

Even the raf cat doesn't seem to mind the illumination.

Kathy S
"Animals without backbones hid from each other or fell down."

Return to “Tank Talk”