Sparkling gouramis!

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Sparkling gouramis!

Post by Taratron »

After searching the Phoenix area for nearly three years, I finally FOUND the last "oh dear Goddess that is a GORGEOUS fish" on my impossible to get list! (The first two were kuhli loaches and pygmy cories.)

And I found these gouramis at PetsMart, of all places!

I'd love to go back and grab the rest of them (I think there is 4 or 5), but all I have left without labyrinth fish is my 20 gallon tank. It has a BN pleco, pygmy cories, 7 cardinal tetras, a sole virgin molly, 1 amano shrimp, and the tank is planted.

How many sparklers could I safely get away with?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Fish Demon
Location 1: SF Bay Area
Interests: I keep lots of fish, but I am really interested in catfish (especially corys).

Post by Fish Demon »

The tank is pretty full already, so I wouldn't put more than one or two gouramis in there.

Congrats on the find!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
-Natalie

April 20, 2001

Q: How tall is Cartman in real life?

A: Well, Cartman doesn't exist in real life, but if he did he'd be two feet tall.
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Re: Sparkling gouramis!

Post by coelacanth »

Taratron wrote:How many sparklers could I safely get away with?
Try putting them on their own in a 5 gallon aquarium, with some plants that touch the surface round the edges, gentle sponge filtration. I found them almost impossible to stop spawning once settled, and if you move them back to your main aquarium once the fry hatch you should raise a few. I honestly believe they'll breed in a bucket if it's in a warm place.
Taratron

Post by Taratron »

Not too sure about breeding.....I can't even sex these guys!

Plus, my water is so hard you can sharpen knives on it......ah well. :D
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Trichopsis are very adaptable fish and you can probably get them to spawn, even in hard water.
sidguppy
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Maybe he's keeping Trichogaster leeri, instead of Trichopsis?

if so; males have a pointed dorsal and a yellow-orange breast, wich isa white or only bland yellow on females.
the one on top is the male
Valar Morghulis
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Maybe he's keeping Trichogaster leeri, instead of Trichopsis?
Nope, sparkling gourami is the common name given to Trichopsis pumilus. Pete wouldn't suggest putting them in a 5-gallon tank otherwise.
I don't think you can put a pair (not to mention several) pearl gouramis in a 5-gallon tank otherwise.
plesner
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 12
Location 1: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post by plesner »

Taratron wrote:Not too sure about breeding.....I can't even sex these guys!
There's only one reliable way of sexing Trichopsis:

Put them (if possible in a small transparent container) in front of a strong light source. You can see the outline of the internal organs through the fish. Females have a long darkish triangle behind the rest of the intestines and immediately below the swim bladder. This triangle is not present in males, as it is a part of the ovaries.

When you've seen the difference once, you'll always be able to sex Trichopsis in a matter of seconds. The same system can be used with Pseudosphromenus species btw.
plesner
coelacanth
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

Silurus wrote:Pete wouldn't suggest putting them in a 5-gallon tank otherwise.
I don't think you can put a pair (not to mention several) pearl gouramis in a 5-gallon tank otherwise.
I wouldn't put a pair of Trichogaster leeri in anything under 30 gallons personally, but in the case of Sparklers Trichopsis pumilus 5 gallons is quite acceptable for a small group. I had no problems with 5 in this size aquarium, and once sexed this was reduced to a male and two females.
sidguppy
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

UGH!
another case of me falling headlong into the worn-out pit of #$%#$%#$%#$%#$%#$%common names.....

Maybe it should be a strict rule to learn Latin before keeping fish? :roll:
Valar Morghulis
Taratron

Post by Taratron »

Latin? Well, common names are ALSO the tool of the devil. ;D

Return to “Tank Talk”