Stocking suggestions please

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
windgirl
Location 1: Canada
Interests: windsurfing, and water anything.

Stocking suggestions please

Post by windgirl »

I would like to finish stocking my 20G high tank. Its planted with lots of fake plants long the side. filtered by a penquin 125 bio wheel. heated. has long airstone. Is fully cycled. So far I've stocked it with my bushynose pl*co, 6 zebras danios, and 1 male guppie. I would like a pair of larger (then danio) pair of fish ... something like a blue dwarf gourami (I like colorful fish with blue colors too) and some small group of 4 bloodfins. I also plan to drop in 4 more zerba danios. Will that work? Or is that over stocked. Any suggestions are welcome ...

Are gouramis aggressive? I can't get the story straight ... I do hear kribs are aggressive when spawning and I'm not sure how to prevent that so I don't care for kirbs any more. I don't want anyone attacking my bushynose or zebras.
30G - 4 common goldies (Neil Pryde, Jimmy Lewis and the twins) and 1 common pl*co (shark)
<O)>>< Building a web site with my other tanks and more info.
ACE1
Location 1: UK grimsby
Interests: CATFISH

Post by ACE1 »

kribs can be aggresive when spawning but if the tank is big enough for the other fish to move out of there way they should not be to much of a problem.some of the bigger gouramis can be a little aggresive i have heard but the ones i have had have never been a problem.
GLAD TO HELP OR BE HELPED
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Anabantoids (Gourami's, fighting fish etc) seem to be the best choice; they're not depending on floorspace, wich cichlids are.

fish depending on floorspace often quarrel with catfish in too small tanks.

Any mediumsmall gourami or bushfish will do fine.
Valar Morghulis
windgirl
Location 1: Canada
Interests: windsurfing, and water anything.

Plans

Post by windgirl »

For my 20G high my stocking plans are;

2 Dwarf Gouramis
4 Bloodfins
10 zebras (6 already in tank ... leaving room for one or two babys)
3 guppies (temporary 1 month)
1 bushynose pl*co (already in tank)
3 pepper cory (unwanted fish that got dumbed in my already over stocked 10G)

Then I plan to get one or two live plants to go with the fake plants;
Java moss / fern (which??) seems to be the least demanding and well I can also use it for my guppy fry I think. I was told it doesn't need fertalizer (which I'd rather skip anyway ... I'm worried about adding chemicals to the water). I'm also iffy with the whole plant thing because of snails :-( But I'm thinking about it ... if there is a 100% snail egg killing stuff to treat new plants with or something I might have no problem wih live plants.
30G - 4 common goldies (Neil Pryde, Jimmy Lewis and the twins) and 1 common pl*co (shark)
<O)>>< Building a web site with my other tanks and more info.
ACE1
Location 1: UK grimsby
Interests: CATFISH

Post by ACE1 »

i have some java moss and fern got a few snails in the fern but my betta has eaten them they both look nice in the tank
GLAD TO HELP OR BE HELPED
tiffnseve
Location 1: MINNEAPOLIS MN

Post by tiffnseve »

If you have guppies and want fry you need to have coverage for them. The parents eat the young if they can get them. I have my 20 planted with java moss, no fertilizer since I don't think its good for the young fry. Its planted pretty heavy, I also have some bronze cories and a couple mollies in there. My plecs hide at the bottom and show themselves every week or so. I had an issue with snails but its under control since my shrimp started eating all the eggs.
My LFS told me to rinse any new live plants in regular tap water for 1-2 minutes before putting them in the tank. I usually dump them in a bucket of water and give them a quick swish. I've had good luck with that.
tiff

Return to “Tank Talk”