Not your basic BN...ancistrus sp. 'white tip' or what?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
nonamethefish
Location 1: CA

Not your basic BN...ancistrus sp. 'white tip' or what?

Post by nonamethefish »

If you guys need an underside pic,I could get one. Not sure, but it is probably wild caught. It has white tips not only on the dorsal but also on the tips of the tail fin.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

pic doesnt work
cheers
Christian
DeepFriedIctalurus
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Saginaw River basin, US
Interests: anything powered by an internal combustion engine, non-feathered/furred pets, anti-ignorance activism

Post by DeepFriedIctalurus »

The pic didn't work for me earlier either, but for some odd reason it seems to be now.

This looks like most common Ancistrus, closely matching the tank-raised species... Which may or may not be A. dolichopterus. Quite a few of em sport the white-tipped fins so it's really no sure thing for an ID. It does have an odd pattern of light blotches on it, which could be stress colors if it was forced out of it's cave for the shot.

Sorry I don't have any better news...the "common" types are the hardest to identify.

Tyler
nonamethefish

Post by nonamethefish »

This cat was foraging for food when this shot was taken. Its been in the tnak for a week and a half, so that may or may not be stress color. She sports that all the time.
DeLBoD
Location 1: Wales UK

Post by DeLBoD »

Those white patches look like some kind of protozoan infection to me. :cry:
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

I can't see the picture but white flashes on the tail of a common bristlenose are likely to be a juvenile feature--they'll disappear eventually.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
nonamethefish

Post by nonamethefish »

Those of you who can't see it, try refreshing your browser.

Okay, now I know what you mean by white splotches. Im unsure of what those mean, but no they arent present all the time(ruling out infection). My only guess is that she shows them when she's uncomfy(like eating under bright light or prehaps the camera) or when she's in bright light. The form to "glasses" on her back, and two streaks from her eye to her lips. I could get pics of the second markings.
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

nonamethefish wrote:try refreshing your browser
Still can't see it.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Wildwood
Location 1: West Midlands, UK

Post by Wildwood »

she looks a lot like our plec:

Twinkle

I posted on this forum asking for an ID and it appears she is a standard Ancistrus, not a starlight which we originally thought. (Link to that thread: http://forum.planetcatfish.com/viewtopi ... 5017#35017 )

Ours also gets these white patches occasionally, i've been wondering what they are....
nonamethefish

Post by nonamethefish »

http://aquahobby.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=10166

Lets see if it works on a different boards script for you. It works fine here, on Planetcatfish, it only works spontaneously. How odd.. This is a head and belly shot.

http://aquahobby.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=10182
At the bottom of this thread is the pic posted here. He's nibbling on some flakes in that photo, not a normal pose.
Wood
Location 1: N.Y. State
Interests: Catfish Plecos Tanganyikan cichlids

Post by Wood »

:D Hello again Wildwood! Your last guestion with pictures was taken off before I found out how you made out with identity? The white blotches are quite common on a number of my plecos,and it is entirely a mood indicator.
micahgee
I've donated: $5.00!
Location 1: newton, MA (suburb of Boston)

Post by micahgee »

I'm pretty sure plecos are not supposed to be that blotchy, regardless or stress or coloration. I had a "common" pleco look like that after a ammonia spike. However, it was transfered to a quarantine tank which was "algaefied" and the little guy was nursed back to health.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

noname, that fish looks nearly -exactly- like two of my female BN, species unknown, really...
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Return to “What is my catfish?”