Green Plec L200

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Perky
Location 1: Wales

Green Plec L200

Post by Perky »

I just want so more info on this fish because I have one and I have rad the profile so any additional info would be good.
ronsterrc
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: My house, Newcastle
Interests: Catfish!

Post by ronsterrc »

Yeah i got 2. My smallest one glows under any light. Like radioactive glow but not quite like ready break tho!!!

No special needs just the usual algae flake, and cucumber etc.
Perky

Post by Perky »

Do they eat algae?
ronsterrc
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: My house, Newcastle
Interests: Catfish!

Post by ronsterrc »

mine does. honest. i seen them at it. if you dont believe me try it.

they are quite timid and get bossed around by bigger plecs, but i dont know if thats just because of their size. what do you think?
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi !

That species is covered in the Catfish of the Month section, I 'll bet you will find most if not all info that you need...

Give a look here
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
xander
My cats species list: 21 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:0)
Location 1: MN USA

Post by xander »

I just saw one of those at my LFS and was very temped to get is save for the price. I was already getting 3 relativly cheap plecos so another $80 for one I know little about didn't seem logical to me. Maybe next month. yeah like they'll still have it.
patrickstockton
Location 1: Portland, Oregon USA

Post by patrickstockton »

so another $80 for one I know little about didn't seem logical to me. Maybe next month. yeah like they'll still have it.
that seems very expensive to me. I regularly see them for $40 for juveniles and $50 (max) for full grown specimens. In fact i've never seen ANYTHING for more than $60 at my LFS. Including blue eyes, nuggets, scarlets and zebras.

Mine also seems to "glow" as the above person stated. Likes flake, spirulina tabs and sweet potato. Seems to like to hang out with my L239 Blue Panaque.
Hope nthis helps....
xander
My cats species list: 21 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:0)
Location 1: MN USA

yeah

Post by xander »

$80 is expensive but as long ass ppl pay it they will continue to sell them at inflated prices. I wouldn't normaly pay more than $50 for a catfish but these green ones are way cool. I am sure someone will buy him before they even dream of dropping the price.
vegeta
Location 1: Australia
Interests: fish, fish & more fish

Post by vegeta »

So has anyone had any success with spawning these beutiful green sucker's in the home aquria, they are one of my favourite's :D

Vegeta
Dr.UltraScarlet
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: molecular biology, spirituality and women

Greenie

Post by Dr.UltraScarlet »

Nope as far as the article link posted "catfish of the month 2003" noone has spawned it. But I am curious have anyone seen a turkish or blue L200 or l128 as the article mentions, I have heard that there where a picture of one in the old aqualog, but it was due to the light, so have anyone seen the variant they describe, photos is required :D
cichlidmaster
Location 1: Michigan

Post by cichlidmaster »

I am curious have anyone seen a turkish or blue L200 or l128 as the article mentions
Sure have!!

Have a 6" one that is in one of our personal tanks and will be getting more L128's in on 6/2/04.

CM
fishnut2
I've donated: $151.00!
My images: 4
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Chicago

Post by fishnut2 »

I just picked up 6 of them last night! It sounds like I got a fantastic price on them.
fishnut2

Post by fishnut2 »

My L-200 have settled in nicely now. They are in a 55 with a few discus. As soon as they were acclimated they headed right for the driftwood! There's still 2 of them hanging out there. I have to agree with Ronsterrc...I believe they are eating the algae in the tank. Apparently I stole mine. They were $18 each @ 4". I'll be adding any additional information I find out about them...and I'm hoping everyone else will do the same! Maybe by combining our knowledge, somebody will be able to spawn them!!!
Rich
patrickstockton
Location 1: Portland, Oregon USA

Post by patrickstockton »

nice price... they go for $40 out here in the NW.
My L200 loves cucumber and potato (all kinds). I skewer them with a chopstick and jam it in between the rocks. Try to find seedless or "English" cucumbers. They have way smaller and less seeds than regular cucs. More meat and less water content. They hold up a little better and dont shed seeds all over the place.
CatBrat
My cats species list: 38 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: New Zealand
Interests: Fish, Fishing, sports, Taking photos of fish

Post by CatBrat »

Man you guys are lucky. They go for $200 - $250 here in New Zealand :shock: and they are only 2"-3". I would love to get some, but they are just too expensive.

Hey Fishnut2, are you going to try to breed them or are they just for display?

Cheers, CatBrat.
jamos
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:3, p:195)
Location 1: Auckland, New Zealand
Location 2: New Zealand
Interests: fish, sports, fish and fish

pleco prices

Post by jamos »

Catbrat you think they are lucky, Well i think that you are lucky, I would love to pay $200 - $250. They aren't allowed in Australia so if i was to get one i would be paying at least $700 if im lucky.

we only have two types of plecos readily available where i am, and they are my favorite fish so imagine my pain!!!!

Jamos
fishnut2

Post by fishnut2 »

Hi CatBrat,
I'll try to breed them eventually...but for now, I just want to get them settled in well. I'm relatively new to plecos (being a cory guy) so my chances are slim. But it doesn't hurt to give it my best shot.
I just found 2...4" to 5" L-200 for sale. $30 for both of them! US only. Out of respect for Jools, I won't post the URL here. But you can PM me if you're interested. I'll get back to you as soon as I see the message.
Rich
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

Has anyone figured out yet how to sex them yet?
Perky

Post by Perky »

Hi, mine is still doing great. I bought mine for £20 and mine is about 4 inches, now my LFS is charging £49 for a 2incher! I think I was lucky. The only problem is they don`t eat algae as good as I was hoping, I will just have to scrub it off. :razz:
hanleong
Location 1: Woodlands, Singapore

Post by hanleong »

Fishnut2 wrote:Hi CatBrat,
I'll try to breed them eventually...but for now, I just want to get them settled in well. I'm relatively new to pl*cos (being a cory guy) so my chances are slim. But it doesn't hurt to give it my best shot.
I just found 2...4" to 5" L-200 for sale. $30 for both of them! US only. Out of respect for Jools, I won't post the URL here. But you can PM me if you're interested. I'll get back to you as soon as I see the message.
Rich
That will be a nice effort.. do keep us posted of the developements and appreicate ifyou can post pictures here

good luck and work hard!
http://www.lpforum.net
forum for budget travelers and backpackers

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”