Zebra pleco on the endangered list?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

I have now heard from a reliable source that any CITES listing for Hypancistrus zebra is at least a few years away, if at all forthcoming.
fishnut2
I've donated: $151.00!
My images: 4
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Chicago

Post by fishnut2 »

I just got in 25 today. They arrived in great shape! 2" to 3". Still acclimating them. Now I have to pay the bill...LOL. Ugh!
fishboy20
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:68)
Location 2: Columbus
Interests: Cichlids, Catfish, Characins, Killifish

Post by fishboy20 »

So the question is are you selling the 25? And for how much? Just curious as to how much they are going for and if the cost has increased. Good to here they were 2-3 inches. Someone else said they were getting their's in at 1" which is distrubing to me unless they are tank raised. If they aren't tank raised then they might be taking juveniles. Of course I guess the juveniles are the ones that aren't breeding anyways. So the older adults should be let behind.
fishnut2
I've donated: $151.00!
My images: 4
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Chicago

Post by fishnut2 »

Hi Fishboy20,
I mentioned in an earlier post (page 1)...I'm keeping them for breeders. Usually; anything I sell is tank-raised...or proven colonies I already spawned. I'm a breeder...not a wholesaler. Sorry. If I ever breed them...the fry will definetely be for for sale.
Just out of curiousity...what do you think a proven a colony of 2M and 4F would sell for? My guess would be about $1200. I bet people would fight over them even at that price! I'd never sell them. Just wondering what other's think the value would be.
Rich
fishboy20
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:68)
Location 2: Columbus
Interests: Cichlids, Catfish, Characins, Killifish

Post by fishboy20 »

Hrm....if I ever sell my breeding colony I will let you know how much they go for. I think what I may do is try to raise up some more babies and eventually pair them off. Who knows, maybe one day zebra pleco pairs will be a normal site to see. One can always dream can't they?
Charly EON
My images: 53
My catfish: 23
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 59
Location 1: Bordeaux - FRANCE

Post by Charly EON »

The ban I'm speaking about will be published by brasilian authorities = under IBAMA control. For those who don't know IBAMA controls ornamental fish exportation in Brasil

Nothing to do with CITES

FYI Each time a brasilian exporter from Manaus sends a fish box they pay a small (very small in fact if iI remember correctly) tax devoted to conservationnal issues.

Ate logo

Charly
Jorge
Location 1: Madrid (España)

Post by Jorge »

Can some one who reads spanish translate this?
It's something about the Brazilian government banning the export of Zebra pl*co.
Seems kinda legit, but since I am spanish stupid, I can't say much.
http://www.aquahobby.org/zeco/especial/ ... brados.pdf
The text is in portuguese, the official language in Brasil, very different from spanish. I can read it, anyway.

The important part of the law is this:
As espécies consideradas ameaçadas de extinção
constantes do Anexo I a esta Instrução Normativa estão proibidas de
serem capturadas, nos termos da legislação em vigor, exceto para fins
científicos, mediante autorização especial do Instituto Brasileiro do
Meio Ambiente e dos Recursos Naturais Renováveis-IBAMA.
Em exercício
It means that all species included in the list attached are considered endangered (and H. zebra is in it) are now protected and fishing them is fully forbidden, except for scientific purposes with special authorization from IBAMA.

Salu2 :)
AGV
Location 1: argentina

Post by AGV »

Hi to all:
the article It´s a brasilian law for may 26th. In resume the point number 3 says that the species in risk of extinction according to this law(described in the annexe N 1) are prohibited to be fished (and trade), except for scients purpose.
The zebra is in that list (page number 6 of the pdf file).
AG
doctorzeb
My images: 8
My catfish: 2
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Southwest Scotland
Interests: A healthy obsession with Zebras and some overkeen enthusiasm for doing up an old derilict house!

Post by doctorzeb »

seems a little ironic really.."put them on a prohibition list, now that we've sanctioned the damn that will wipe them out" :evil:
My wife made the mistake of buying me a 2 ft tank and it grew to 7ft.
ZebraPleco
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)

Post by ZebraPleco »

Thank you AGV and Jorge for the translation.
And thank you for educating me to the fact that Brasil speaks Portuguese too. :)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”