Little White Worms in Tank?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
saradora
Location 1: PA
Interests: Plecos!

Little White Worms in Tank?

Post by saradora »

I have three small rubbernoses in a 10 gallon tank (ammonia 0.0, nitrite 0.0, nitrate around 5mg/L, pH 7.5, temperature 72 F). Recently while cleaning, I noticed very small white worms (and a disturbingly large amount of them) floating in the water column when I was cleaning the gravel. When the gravel is not disturbed, most of them settle into it.
Anyone know what these worms could be and/or where they came from? Can they hurt my rubbernoses? (Rubbernoses are behaving normally.)
Could it possibly be from Eco-Complete planted substrate? I have that sandwiched in between gravel layers although I haven't gotten around to putting any live plants in it yet. I have no other leads on where the worms might have come from.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Nematodes or oligochaetes (depending on whether they are segmented or not).

Discussed here and here.
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

I might take it to mean that you guys do regular cleanings and still are surprised to see these worms. If it is the I suggest that you put in two small botias or loaches in the tank. Fairly inexpensive where I come from. About a US$1.00 per fish. I placed two pakistani botias for a week and the white worms disappeared in no time. Just an idea.

Regards,
Mike D.
saradora
Location 1: PA
Interests: Plecos!

Post by saradora »

Thank you both for the replies. I usually change the water once a week (sometimes a little less). The levels of everything are always good and it is always sparkling clear, so I was really confused about the worms.
Can you tell me any loaches that will not suffer at 70-72 F and will not be argumentative with rubbernoses?
mokmu
Location 1: Manila/Singapore
Interests: Fish, Food, 4x4

Post by mokmu »

Most loaches can probably take that kind of temperature. Plecs live and breed in tropical climates. If your plecs are doing okay in that kind of temperature odds are the loaches will also take to those temps pretty well.

I have two Pakistani or Yoyo loaches. Normally sold as two inchers. They grow very slow. Average adult size is about 4". They are beautiful fish and are always swimming around in the open. You can try other loaches as well. I suggest smaller loaches, the common clown loach grows to about 12" and are huge fish. Try to get loaches that have pointed noses so that they can get into the nooks and crannies of most substrate and bogwood.

Regards,
Mike D.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”