L200 questions.......

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
noki
Location 1: United States of the Bush Empire

L200 questions.......

Post by noki »

info for L200 is kinda sketchy. i see a group for sale thou now.

how big do they typically get (in reality)? do the "shark fin" ones get bigger than the others?

I've seen a group of small ones and the dominant ones seemed to have the "shark fins" and much more yellow color in the fins, also bigger spots, while the others were dark and greenish. has anybody figured out for sure if these are the males, or is it just characteristics of the dominant fish or just size? does the alpha fish always get the the yellower body, bigger spots and distinctive fins?
will the darker ones ever get the yellow color, or will they stay darker? does the more yellow color and the shark fin come together, or do some get yellower without the more pronounced shark fin, or vice versa?

how do they do in pairs? trios? I've read that have not been bred, but I'm wondering about social habits, and whether just two will get along, if I buy a "shark fin" one and a darker green one and see what happens, hopefully not fight too much in a long tank.
zebraplec
Location 1: UK

Post by zebraplec »

I got one of these about a month ago and he is a real character. Unlike alot of plecs rio (his name) storms around the tank like a two year old at a birthday party.

I have read that the reach just over 6 ins however the salesman at LFS where I purchased him from said he has one that is close on 8 ins.

Very little is known about the breeding of these fish but they were featured on catfish of the month for September 2003 on planet catfish

http://www.planetcatfish.com/core/index.htm
blazespecv
Location 1: Virginia

Post by blazespecv »

It is said that they have not been bred, but I have heard that they have by at least one breeder. Well, the breeder is in I believe Brazil, and works for a fish exporter, and apparently has been able to get L128 to breed pretty frequently, so that bodes well for L200 since they are supposedly the same fish, which I believe since owning both they are identical except in color. They do get of decent size, and no I don't think the hi-fin L200s get bigger, wouldn't really make a lot of sense IMO. I don't have any of my L200 anymore, but I do have a L128, I think a gravid female, who seems to be sitting around a satisfied 7 inches or so.
noki
Location 1: United States of the Bush Empire

Post by noki »

I saw a group of large group of small L200. the ones with bigger spots were acting like the dominant fish, the ones with smaller greener dots were acting submissive, and were darker. the three most dominant were the yellowish of the bunch and had the distictive dorsal fin, with bigger yellowish spots.... so I'm trying to figure out is this just dimorphism based on growing up, or differences because of pecking order, or just the slighty bigger ones were more mature. distinct sexual dimorphism? will the sub-dominant males gain theses characteristics and will the females always stay the same? or does anybody know?

so what happens when they get bigger? does the same dimorphism hold true? if I got a green one would it develop the yellow color and dorsal if it was dominant? or has anybody figured out if this is true sexual dimorphism?

don't really plan on buying more than a couple, as theya re $40 a pop, thou I guess it would be fun to buy 10 or 12 and see what happens.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”