Why is my plec changing colour???

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mermaid
Location 1: Huntingdon, Cambs UK
Interests: bristlenose catfish,royal plecs

Why is my plec changing colour???

Post by mermaid »

Can some one help me, I have a Liposarcus pardalis Plec who until recently was dark and light brown, it now has orange on the tips of his tail and on the top of his dorsal fin, can anyone tell me what is happening to him, is it a "becoming of age thing", I have had him for 2 years now and he has never changed colour before.

Cheers

Jo
Catfish, what a perfect creation
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

This might be a thing of sexual maturity or a feeding thing (changed foods lately?). How big is he? Nothing to worry about if the spots arent bloody.
cheers
Christian
mermaid
Location 1: Huntingdon, Cambs UK
Interests: bristlenose catfish,royal plecs

Post by mermaid »

Hi I have changed foods lately but over 2 weeks ago, I changed from plec tablets to bottom feeder tablets as I ran out of plec food, he is about 4 or 5 inches long. The colouring is not bloody, its like he has been painted with orange on the tips of his fins. I dont know if it is male or female as I am told its hard to know with them.

Jo
Catfish, what a perfect creation
Fishphibian
Location 1: Ontario Canada

Post by Fishphibian »

I have some of these fish around the same size, and have found pretty much the same thing came up around the size yours are at. I find these fish change colour a little bit anyway. Mine have faded orange on most all their fins.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”