Fighting BN males

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Darkangel
Location 1: Oshawa Ont Canada
Interests: Catfish, Mostly synos and cories and pleco types, livebearers mostly wild type xiph's.

Fighting BN males

Post by Darkangel »

I have just put two possible pairs of albino BN plecos into a 90 gallon tank. The two that I suspect are males have been fighting for about 30 minuts now. The tank is filled with driftwood, about 10 pieces with one piece being huge. Will they settle down and adopt seperate houses or will they continuesly fight? I have two pairs in my 110 with no problems, as a matter of fact these 4 were also in there till about 6 monthes ago when I pulled them out and gave them seperate tanks. Thanks.
Darkangel AKA Frank Caputo
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Hiya Frank,

Because the dominant male is the one that the females will "choose" to spawn with, they might continue to fight until one is seriously injured. Sometimes they will mellow out and reach an understanding, but I've had a couple of those skirmishes cause fatalities. I'd recommend removing one of the males to another tank for janitorial duties, if it was me.

Barbie
Darkangel
Location 1: Oshawa Ont Canada
Interests: Catfish, Mostly synos and cories and pleco types, livebearers mostly wild type xiph's.

Post by Darkangel »

Thanks Barbie,
I may just do that. I have another few females I could put with him as well. Just trying to save some tank space. I went down to 35 from 55 now.
Darkangel AKA Frank Caputo

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”