BN sizes

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

BN sizes

Post by Taratron »

I have 5 albino bristlenose plecos, all of them a little over an inch long. One of the 5 is already sporting bristles along his nose, and I say his because I assume it is a male?

I have no idea on the ages of these 5; bought them at seperate times at the same lfs, so I can presume from the same breeder. But if 1 out of the 5 has bristles already, does that make the other 4 late bloomers, or all female?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
saradora
Location 1: PA
Interests: Plecos!

Post by saradora »

A venerable source told me that bristlenoses can be very misleading because a fish whose growth has been stunted by something like poor water quality may be mature enough to exhibit the characteristic bristles at a very small size. In this case, although the fish is mature it will never attain its full size. As far as I know, you cannot sex them with any certainty under 2-3" and a fish that exhibits bristles at a smaller size could be a stunted fish. Also complicating matters are the small bristles the females sometimes develop.
I am no pleco guru, but I hope this helps!
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Just keep doing regular partial water changes and don't fret about bristles or no bristles. Not all fish read the book about how they are supposed to develop is all ;) Their sexes will become obvious at some point.

Barbie

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”