I done it hatched some babies !!!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mermaid
Location 1: Huntingdon, Cambs UK
Interests: bristlenose catfish,royal plecs

I done it hatched some babies !!!

Post by mermaid »

I done it found 3 eggs on the side of the tank 3 days ago and I took them out and put them in a little container and added oxygenating tablets to the water and left it floating on the top of the tank, this morning there are 2 baby fry there swimming around, the other egg was infertile. The eggs sacs are still there, should I wait till they are gone before feeding them??, also I have bought some dried fry food, how much should i use of that?, also sorry for the questions I am so excited, what do I do with the water changes in the tub how much and how often there is a couple of inches of water inside already. Also how big do they have to be before I can add them to the big tank as I have a big catfish and other corys and clown loaches, god I am so excited I have been trying to raise fry for months now and today i have 2 I am so proud. Any help for a beginner would be SOOOOO greatful.

Jo
Catfish, what a perfect creation
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

Congratulations on your first successful spawn. Wait until the yolk sacks are completely dissolzed before you start feeding. The fry will not eat before then. The fry are not ging to take dry food right away. You need to feed something small like baby brine shrimp, micro worms or or a product like Liquifry.
mermaid

Post by mermaid »

Thank you, what about the water changes & stuff like that??
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

Jo,
You can do water changes taking water from the tank the fry container is floating in. Since the container is small the water changes should be as frequent as possible. Next week or the week after you should move the fry to larger quarters. If you have big fish in your tank I would wait until the fry are at least 3/4" before introducing them.

Mark
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Mermaid,

I have put a new sticky at the head of this forum regarding hatching eggs and raising fry. Hope it helps

Ian
mermaid

Post by mermaid »

Ian, thanks alot, its helped alot.

Will keep you updated on my progress.

Jo

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”