Breeding Environment...

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
fishthoughts
Location 1: Cleveland, OH
Interests: Breeding Cichlids and Plecos, Drag Racing

Breeding Environment...

Post by fishthoughts »

I have a pair (Im pretty sure) of L007 - Lepracanthicus galaxias plecos, and want to know what tank environment they need to be in to breed... fast moving waters? warm or colder water? dietary needs? The fish now are about 6-7" and in a 125 with some Frontosa... I want to get them to breed when they can.
I know that certain species of plecos like different tank environments to breed, so I want to duplicate these as best as I can for the better results, if that makes much sense.

Also : Synodontis Petricola -- What do I have to do to breed those? I have 7 of them that are rounding the 3" mark and should breed within a 6 month window I would think (they are about a year old)... Is there anything special or not really??
Your cure for the common Cichlid!
http://www.fishthoughts.net
sirbooks
Location 1: United States

Post by sirbooks »

I don't know about the Synodontis cats, but I do know that breeding the galaxy pleco is very difficult. In fact, I'm not sure whether it has been accomplished in home aquaria. These fish dig burrows in the substrate, and presumably spawn in these burrows. They should probably be well-conditioned fish, fed on a mix of live foods. I don't really know about current or temperature, though. Presumably, current doesn't matter because of the burrows, and a normal temperature (maybe 76 degrees F) would probably suffice.
fishboy20
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:68)
Location 2: Columbus
Interests: Cichlids, Catfish, Characins, Killifish

Post by fishboy20 »

L-007 have been spawned in captivity. TFH published an article on them in their August 2003 issue. The author, Felix Yuzefovich, listed this as the requirements for spawning:
Conductivity-220 uS
pH-6.9-7.2
Hardness- 3 dKH
Temp.- 81 F
Daily water changes of 10%
Food- two meals per day: Bloodworms, pellet food (56% protein, 12% fat) and spirulina pellets.

I would think you could also include live foods like white worms, chopped earthworms, frozen mysis shrimp, brine shrimp plus a few other things to get them in breeding condition.

Water circulation was by sponge filter plus two additional air stones for maximum oxygen content? IMO, like any pleco, provide some water movement via pump, airstone, filter, etc.
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

From the same article:

Developing and rearing
The number of eggs will depend on the age/size of the female and the frequency of the breeding. the size of the eggs in the spawing were 3.5-4mm. The egg was initially white with a translucent shell. To date all of the eggs observed were found to be fertile, 100% fertility. Males aerate the eggs throughout the relativity long incubation period of eight to nine days. During incubation male L. galaxias transfered the eggs from corner to corner. the egg sac is not firmly connected to the nest wall. In contrast the eggs are very aderant to one another, any attempt to seperate the eggs during this period will cause complete distruction of the ova. L. galaxias larvae are relatively large 12-13mm. larval development is another eight to nine days during which time the yolk sac is clearly visible, interestingly fry are able to take live foods very early in development. Fry develop very fast, measuring 22mm by day thirty of development. During this stage fingerlings exhibit a unique display of colours, which is even more dramatic than their parents. At the stage of 40 days all fish were transfered for further development to another fish farm.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”