Decapsulated or Whole Brine Shrimp Eggs. Opinions.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
strawbx
Location 1: Chesterfield, UK
Interests: Aquatics\Computers

Decapsulated or Whole Brine Shrimp Eggs. Opinions.

Post by strawbx »

Anybody had any experience with feeding decapsulated (non hatching) Brine Shrimp eggs compared to feeding naupuli.
Allan
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Catfish, mostly corys.

Post by Allan »

I have used both in the past, but I have now settled on hatching the eggs myself. I think the fry is more eager to eat if the food i jiggling.
Not that the decapsulated didn't work. I have raised a lot of C. paleatus fry on decapsulated, but I guess they are not so picky. With the more difficult species, I will prefer live ones.
Nutricious, I think they are on the same level, but only expirience, dunno for sure.
A tip if you choose decapsulated,make sure to pre-water them before feeding. If thay are not soaked, some will float on the surface and stick to the sides of your frytank.
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

The advantage of nauplii is that their movement triggers feeding response in many fish larvae.
The advantage of eggs is that they're easier to use, and smaller in size (which can be a factor for some very small larvae). They are also slightly more nutritious, but the difference is smaller than between different strains of artemia.

However, regarding hatching artemia, I'm going to drop this shameless plug for a very easy way of doing just that:
http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/EasyArtemia.htm

I've found no downside to this method; it's simply easier than using aerated PET bottles.
squid
Location 1: Philippines.
Interests: Tropical fish, internet, swimming, sleeping...

Post by squid »

Mike_Noren wrote:The advantage of nauplii is that their movement triggers feeding response in many fish larvae.
The advantage of eggs is that they're easier to use, and smaller in size (which can be a factor for some very small larvae). They are also slightly more nutritious, but the difference is smaller than between different strains of artemia.

However, regarding hatching artemia, I'm going to drop this shameless plug for a very easy way of doing just that:
http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/EasyArtemia.htm

I've found no downside to this method; it's simply easier than using aerated PET bottles.
thanks for sharing this method..:)
so it doesn't need aeration anymore?
Mike_Noren

Post by Mike_Noren »

so it doesn't need aeration anymore?
Nope.

Given some comments about the page, I will add a few things:

The hatching rate isn't lower this way, if anything it seems to be higer. At least I get a lot more artemia per volume of eggs now than I did when I used aerated PET bottles. With aerated pet bottles I'd be using eggs by the teaspoon.

It is not necessary that the eggs float. I actually always mix down the eggs so that they sink. The eggs survive because the the tray is shallow, so enough oxygen diffuses in from the air.

What IS true is that you can hatch larger amounts of artemia in aerated containers. Most hobbyists, however, will find that one milliliter of eggs gives more artemia nauplii than they can use in a day.

As an aside, and this is not a comment to you, I've been surprised by the responses to my page. Hatching artemia without aeration is an old and proven idea, I just invented a simple way of doing it when people complained it was too complicated to hatch artemia.
squid

thanks!

Post by squid »

thanks!
wow!! really excited to try this method..
thanks for sharing this..
it was really a lot of work to hatch using pet bottles:0
Mike_Noren

Post by Mike_Noren »

Let me know how it goes!
squid

Post by squid »

Mike_Noren wrote:Let me know how it goes!
k thanks:)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”