plec eating?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
greenmonkey51
Location 1: Nebraska

plec eating?

Post by greenmonkey51 »

how do you know if a plec is eating other than actually seing them and a substanial decrease in algae. i have a royal plec. there are a few place on my driftwood that look sanded down and have no algae. though i dont know if its just the part that was not exposed to light
chrisinha
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: brooklyn, ny
Interests: animals, music, photography

Post by chrisinha »

i have a common pleco and i usually "hand-feed" him by putting one algae wafer right under his mouth! thats the only way i know for sure he ate! 8)
~christie~
saradora
Location 1: PA
Interests: Plecos!

Post by saradora »

Do you ever watch it at night? Plecos are great fish for night people because that is pretty much the only time a lot of them come alive. I always watch my fish for a while after turning the light off; some eat immediately, some wait for an hour or more before venturing out and are sure to be securely in their hiding places by the time the lights come on, some like to eat right before dawn. Another good way to tell is with a big piece of zucchini suctioned to the tank glass. You will notice virtually no zucchini in the morning or at least a lot of graze marks if a pleco is eating.
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

You can "train" them to come out during the day time by feeding them more often during the day, it'll make them get used to the day time feeding environment.
RogerMcAllen
I've donated: $35.00!
Location 1: Champaign, IL, USA

Post by RogerMcAllen »

I would just look for the droppings. Depending on what else you have in there, they should be fairly obvious. With greens for veggies, browns for wood, red's etc for pellets and flakes, orange for carrots.
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

Try looking at the belly.
Round is good, flat also but hollow isn't.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”