Marine Catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
Beersnob
Location 1: Royal Oak, Michigan
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Marine Catfish

Post by Beersnob »

I am considering starting up a marine tank and would love to have some catfish. I was reading that there are 2 families of catfish that are marine. Have you ever raised these fish and if so what species works the best? I usually try to keep my fish to a maximum of 8" and easy to maintain. Also, any pitfalls or problems I should be aware of with that particular species would be great.

Thanks,

Scott
Beersnob

Sooo many Beers, So little time!

How many Catfish are in your Tank?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

You might want to read the Cat-eLog entry for .
djw66
Location 1: Arkansas
Location 2: Arkansas

Post by djw66 »

Not only do they have highly venomous spines, but you'd need a HUGE tank to keep them (over 500 gallons at least), as a group of foot-long catfish is a LOT of fish for a marine tank. And, they lose those chic stripes as they age, becoming quite drab fish, and not nearly as sociable with each other as they were as juvies. Though they won't bother corals other than brushing against them occasionally, any small fish or crustacean is dinner.

Invenomation is fairly common with these fish, and is described as agonizingly painful, and fatalities do happen.

Its quite seductive to see a group of youngsters rolling and tumbling together in the dealer's tank, but there they should stay unless you have the tank size and experience to keep them.

Dave
I dream of L-Numbers . . .
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Funny you should mention this fish, I recently asked around to find a marine expert to write a guest catfish of the month on this species.

This did not prove fruitful as fish only marine tanks as rather out of fashion these days and this fish doesn't really have a lot of followers, apparently past or present.

If anyone knows of such a person and can talk them into writing a catfish of the month, I'd be very grateful and it would serve the site very well too.

Sorry I can't be of any help, I've never kept marine fish at home.

Jools
pictus_man_77
Location 1: bromsgrove, Worcester Birmingham, U.K.

Post by pictus_man_77 »

Beersnob, are you aware that as juveniles they need to be in a shoal, but as adults they separate? you need to have a huge tank, as someone has already said, and you need to be extremely wary of that poison
djw66

Post by djw66 »

Jools wrote:Funny you should mention this fish, I recently asked around to find a marine expert to write a guest catfish of the month on this species.

This did not prove fruitful as fish only marine tanks as rather out of fashion these days and this fish doesn't really have a lot of followers, apparently past or present.

If anyone knows of such a person and can talk them into writing a catfish of the month, I'd be very grateful and it would serve the site very well too.

Sorry I can't be of any help, I've never kept marine fish at home.

Jools
Jools,

Plotosus lineatus has become more and more available and popular in the marine reef hobby as reef science has advanced to the point where they can be easily kept, thus it is entirely possible some neophyte with deep pockets would buy a dozen youngsters as they are beutiful fish. I've seen them on dealer's lists a half-dozen times over the last year.

Thus, we owe it to the forum members interested to educate them, before they plunk down hundreds of dollars on the fish. I've kept marine reef aquariums for several years, and marine aquariums for at least 20, and know better than to buy Plotosus lineatus, as they will not only invenomate you, they will, in the course of defense or accident, invenomate other fish in the tank as well.

They are far more dangerous then the well-known lionfish clan or the common Foxface Lo. People are commonly invenomated by Plotosus lineatus when doing maintanence in the aquarium, as the fish is uncommonly active, and the merest brush against your arm is enough to poison you.

Most of the people I know of that would be considered experts on the species are authors and would probably require payment for a CoM entry. I'd suggest contacting Dr. Bob Goemans at saltcorner.com and see if he can point you in the right direction to a source for a needed CoM article. I could probably do it myself, as I've done a good deal of personal research on P. lineatus, but I'm no expert, just a interested hobbyist.

Dave
Beersnob
Location 1: Royal Oak, Michigan
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Post by Beersnob »

Silurius,

The fish you mentioned I had already checked out. I am a little concerned about catfish that have been known to cause fatalities. i'd kinda like to enjoy the fish. Also, 12 " is bigger than I was planning.

As I stated previously, Are there any success stories and are there any that are 8" or smaller? I looked quickly and could not tell on the Cat-E-Log what fish were Salt-water/marine friendly. So again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
Beersnob

Sooo many Beers, So little time!

How many Catfish are in your Tank?
djw66

Post by djw66 »

To answer your question as to 8 inches or not, the short answer is no. There are only two purely marine catfish that I know of in the aquarium trade, and P. lineatus is the only tropical species and most commonly available. I've also read that though they grow to a foot in aquaria, they can reach a meter in nature.

The other, that I've seen on dealer's lists is Euristhmus lepturus (Gunther 1864) is from the Indo-West Pacific, Northern Australia and New Guinea. It grows to 18 inches and is also quite dangerously venomous. It is an eel-like fish like P. lineatus and black or blue-black in color.

Sorry to quash your dream of a 8-inch or less marine catfish - I'm afraid there ain't no such animal.

Dave
pictus_man_77
Location 1: bromsgrove, Worcester Birmingham, U.K.

Post by pictus_man_77 »

i dont understand peoples fear of lionfish though. i mean, just dont be clumsy and touch theif i ever get a marine aquarium ( doubt it, its more of a fantasy) i would get the Anttena Lionfish, thats one of its many many common names, because its smaller than the gigantic one, growing to about 15 - 20 cm!!! now thats cool :thumbsup:
djw66

Post by djw66 »

pictus_man_77 wrote:i dont understand peoples fear of lionfish though. i mean, just dont be clumsy and touch theif i ever get a marine aquarium ( doubt it, its more of a fantasy) i would get the Anttena Lionfish, thats one of its many many common names, because its smaller than the gigantic one, growing to about 15 - 20 cm!!! now thats cool :thumbsup:
To clarify, P. lineatus and its kin are highly active fish as juveniles, thus far more likely to envenomate an aquarist working in the aquarium or netting the fish. Lionfish are slow, deliberate fish so envenomation with them is fairly rare, and has been described strong bee-sting like, unlike the agony and possible death from a P. lineatus.

I have no fear of a lionfish sting, nor do I know anyone who does. I don't keep them myself as I prefer small fish, corals and crustaceans in my reef tanks - thus no lionfish or triggers - but I like both of them, and I know people who keep them.

If you do ever start a marine tank, consider using aquacultured live rock (cured and cycled, of course) with any lionfish, as those in my aquarium club report that their marine fish stay healthier and live longer in properly maintained aquariums with live rock.

Dave
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Well, I´d certainly appreciate the help from saltcorner.com or whoever. I can´t make payment for stuff, I don´t get paid myself and a neither do any of the team.

If I were really wanting to spread knowledge on this species in (I would say) the best place in the world to do it, I wouldn´t seek payment. I would find it hard however to call someone a hobbyist who withheld info. purely for financial gain.

That is not to say I do not appreciate fully the demands placed on one´s time EVERY day when others consider you an expert! I´d hope however the prestige and opportunity for writing about the catfish here would be enough to presuade a big gun from the marine world to put pen to paper.

Here´s hoping!

Jools
djw66

Post by djw66 »

Jools, I think you've misunderstood. I would NEVER ask for or accept payment for a CofTM article and I suggested Dr. Goemans as perhaps he knows of someone who is an expert on the species who would write the entry for you gratis.

I write for a living, but this is my hobby and passion, for goodness sake.

I thought that was understood. As I said, I could probably write you something as far as description, distribution and husbandry, but I am no expert, and cannot provide art, as I don't, and won't, keep P. lineatus.

Dave
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Dave,

Maybe I did misunderstand, I thought you were saying it would be hard to get someone ELSE to write about them without payment although I understand you´d do it for free and that is an offer I´d like to take up if I still can?

Perhaps if you´d like to start with a data submission and then we can discuss something for a catfish of the month article, as you suggest but perhaps with something about their venom as an additional angle?

Sorry for any offense caused, none meant.

Jools

Return to “Other Catfishes”