What's the etymology of "Siluriformes"?

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

What's the etymology of "Siluriformes"?

Post by Dinyar »

I gather that the "Silurian Period" (420 MA) was named by Sir Roderick Murchison in 1835 after the "Silures", a tribe that lived in Wales during the Roman period.

I presume "Siluriformes" is named after the "Silurian" period. Is that correct? If so, why? Did the order originate in the Silurian? (What is the earliest known fossil clearly identified as a Siluriform?)

Thanks,
Dinyar
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The earliest use of the term "Siluriformes" (or its derivative) was by Cuvier (1817) who coined the term "Siluroides" for all catfishes. The term was probably derived from Silurus, which is generally acknowledged as the first catfish ever named in the Linnean system. I'm not sure why Linnaeus named it as such (maybe the catfish reminded him of a bearded Welshman ? :)). It is interesting to note that the name for the European catfish is the wels (again a reference to the Silures ?)
Anyway, the earliest fossil catfish clearly recognizable as such is the North American Hypsidoris from the Cretaceous (reconstructions show it to look very much like an ictalurid or a bagrid in life). There are some fragments identified as catfishes possibly occurring in earlier deposits, but the fossil record is really too fragmentary to tell.
Last edited by Silurus on 26 Jan 2003, 22:18, edited 4 times in total.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Hmm... Silurus and wels... both meaning Welsh? (Now Scottish I could maybe understand :)). Very interesting...
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

We do like our catfish here in Wales and will sometimes even go to England to get them :shock:
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Dinyar wrote:Hmm... Silurus and wels... both meaning Welsh? (Now Scottish I could maybe understand :)). Very interesting...
I have long pondered this link I _think_ it must be coincidence.

What we really then want to know is the etymology of Silurus?

Jools
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

As I was discussing with Rusty and Silurus last night, I actually read this recently, and now I can't remember exactly where!
It comes from a French tribe/region, and I assume this is because the type specimen originated from there. As soon as I put my hands on the actual text I will let people know.
Pete
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The Silure of Wales and France are the same thing. They were originally a Gaulish tribe and fled to Britain when Julius Caesar invaded, carrying their tribal names with them. Some of the other tribes that left with them were the Parisii, Dumnonii, Damnonii and Cantii. While others that stayed behind, but fled to the mountains were the Namnatae, Vennatii, Remi and Belgae.
I don't see how this is related to the type locality of Silurus glanis (Orient, less frequently in European lakes), though, especially since the species is not native to Gaul (modern day Brittany).
marimochan96
Location 1: california
Location 2: sunset beach

Re: What's the etymology of "Siluriformes"?

Post by marimochan96 »

Do you have sources/references?
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Dinyar wrote: 26 Jan 2003, 21:40 Hmm... Silurus and wels... both meaning Welsh? (Now Scottish I could maybe understand :)). Very interesting...
While Wels is the German name for catfish, as far as I know, other European languages have other names. In Dutch it is "meerval". A 'meer' is a lake, and a 'val' is a trap, but 'val' can also refer to verb, to fall. Silurus obviously live in lakes, and stories are told about children eaten by them.

In Spanish it is bagre, in Italian pesca gatto - which might refer to cats, again - just as French, poisson-chat. But in Danish it is malle

But - never a reference to Wales in these languages. Incidentally, Silurus is not found in Wales
cats have whiskers

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”