Ordering from amazon.co.uk or amazon.com

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Ordering from amazon.co.uk or amazon.com

Post by Jools »

All~

Just a reminder that if you buy anything from Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk, if you search for it using the Amazon links at the bottom of any book review page and then order it in the same session, we get some cash towards our hosting costs. Not a lot, but it all helps. My Christmas spend, for example, puts £12 back in the pot.

You should also realise that (a) you don't get anything cheaper and (b) it's anonymous, so I can't see who buys what and so cannot recognise them in terms of adding donation amounts.

All you need to do is put whatever you are looking for (e.g. canon digital SLR, nintendo wii, guitar hero world tour... ;-)) into the search box at the bottom of the page OR use the links on THIS PAGE.

Cheers,

Jools
boogie
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Los Angeles

Re: Ordering from amazon.co.uk or amazon.com

Post by boogie »

I buy from amazon all the time, but it is from USA. Do you have the same thing for USA?
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Yes.
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
boogie

Post by boogie »

Hi, I've ordered a ton of stuff from Amazon lately and tried to use this forum, I think it has worked but not sure. On your site it says to use "this link" form Amazon.com, but the link box is completely white with nothing in it. I've ordered a ton, so I feel bad about this. Hope you can figure out what the problem is. The amazonuk link is fine - there is a link in it, but again, the us link is blank. Good luck.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

boogie wrote:Hi, I've ordered a ton of stuff from Amazon lately and tried to use this forum, I think it has worked but not sure. On your site it says to use "this link" form Amazon.com, but the link box is completely white with nothing in it. I've ordered a ton, so I feel bad about this. Hope you can figure out what the problem is. The amazonuk link is fine - there is a link in it, but again, the us link is blank. Good luck.
I've seen quite a few orders in the past couple of weeks, so I think it's OK. I've also checked the link and it's fine but uses flash to display the link, so it might be that it just isn't displaying. That said, if you clicked on it and it got you to amazon then it will have registered you came from here.

If you wish to PM me one of the items you ordered (no need to share it here unless you wish) I can check it specifically yo see it's come through.

Many thanks for bringing this up.

Cheers,

Jools
boogie

Post by boogie »

Jools - that's cool. I've ordered several hundred dollars - hopefully in your name. I think it worked, but will pm you. Everyone, keep ordering from amazon.com thru here - this is a nice site - one of the only ones I like personally - so anything we can do to help out...
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

boogie wrote:Jools - that's cool. I've ordered several hundred dollars - hopefully in your name. I think it worked, but will pm you. Everyone, keep ordering from amazon.com thru here - this is a nice site - one of the only ones I like personally - so anything we can do to help out...
Just wanted to add that this did come through as expected and Planet did benefit - so it's all working nicely.

Thanks!

Jools
Dave Rinaldo

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Jools wrote:All~

Just a reminder that if you buy anything from Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk, if you search for it using the Amazon links at the bottom of any book review page and then order it in the same session, we get some cash towards our hosting costs. Not a lot, but it all helps. My Christmas spend, for example, puts £12 back in the pot.

You should also realise that (a) you don't get anything cheaper and (b) it's anonymous, so I can't see who buys what and so cannot recognise them in terms of adding donation amounts.

All you need to do is put whatever you are looking for (e.g. canon digital SLR, nintendo wii, guitar hero world tour... ;-)) into the search box at the bottom of the page OR use the links on THIS PAGE.

Cheers,

Jools
Don't forget to use this feature while doing your Holiday shopping 8)

Dave Rinaldo

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

at the moment better wait till the storm blows over :lol:

Amazon kissed the posterior end of American politics by tossing out Wikileaks, so it's now under attack by hackers

the creditcard companies (Visa, American express etc) you need to order books from said Amazon did the same and got their nefarious reward as well

on top of that the Dutch postorder is in wild disarray, because the directors wanted to toss out almost 5000 experienced mailmen and mailwomen to replace them with minimum wage youths on temporary contracts, so their topdogs could rake in even more money big time.

result: we got strikes of a magnitude that wouldn't look amiss in the UK or France, but are highly unusual for Netherlands.

needless to say, I'm highly solidarinosk with those guys, even if their wild strikes eat a paycheck or two.

usually the working population here in Holland is as docile as, say, the common sheep.
looks like this time the Greedy Bastards went a tad too far and now they're in for a ride

not a good time to order books from Amazon, at least not here. ;)

with all the Hacktivists out there it might be quite bad over there as well
:D
Valar Morghulis
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Glad you managed to post this without a server error! Let me guess Sid, do you also believe that man didn't walk on the moon and it was all faked in Arizona somewhere as part of an American hearts and minds political ploy? :-)

Meantime, you may notice that paypal is also a target of the leaky supporters group. Are we to stop using them too?

Your advice is akin to saying you should not leave the house with money in your pocket because there are indeed bad people in the world and you might get robbed. In fact, it's a lot more likely...

This statement has nothing to do with the revenue stream for Planet from Amazon, I personally have spent hunderds of pounds on amazon.co.uk in the past week and will hopefully continue to buy, and use paypal and my credit cards, and indeed breath air, without worrying too much about this.

Just wanted to put it in proportion.

Jools
sidguppy
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

is THIS:
Glad you managed to post this without a server error! Let me guess Sid, do you also believe that man didn't walk on the moon and it was all faked in Arizona somewhere as part of an American hearts and minds political ploy?
Just wanted to put it in proportion.
???

excuse me?

p****** down my back is "putting it in proportion?"

you m******n retard. may you burn in Hell

so, now there's some of your own "proportion" back in your face

d******d.
Valar Morghulis
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

:-O wow you said MFer to Jools.

if I didn't think/hope you were fast friends I'd be freaked out.

I used paypal yesterday and I admit I did think twice about it, then said **** it (to use your f word) and hit enter. :-p
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

sidguppy wrote:p****** down my back is "putting it in proportion?"

you m******n retard. may you burn in Hell

so, now there's some of your own "proportion" back in your face

d******d.
As per forum rules I have issued a warning for several swear words used by Alex. I have recently been accused of high handedness in how I go about running this forum and so have done no more than that. My post was made from the position of a little knowledge, I don't want to go into it too much, but suffice to say I know a lot more about hacking etc than I do about catfishes. Some might suggest that doesn't mean much! ;-)

Irrespectively, are we willing to allow responses of this kind from on our forum? If someone had registered yesterday and posted same, what would happen? Am I owed an apology? Should I apologise for my post?

Jools
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I very nearly split this off when I saw Andy's post. I don't really think this discussion belongs in the post about "you can help Planet Catfish when shopping on Amazon".

--
Mats
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

I am sorry, i had hoped he, Sid Guppy, was joking.

You can delete mine. :ymblushing:

I do not think you're high handed, Jools. And so what if you are, it's your forum. We abide by your rules, right?
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

MatsP wrote:I don't really think this discussion belongs in the post about "you can help Planet Catfish when shopping on Amazon".
I would be a little more concerned about the content rather than where to put it, but then, where does it belong? It is bumping along the thread nicely. I am glad you didn't slice it off behind the scenes, I would like to keep it where it is please.

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

andywoolloo wrote:I am sorry, I had hoped he, Sid Guppy, was joking.
A tad optimistic perhaps? In contrast to my post, there were no smilies I think but I am happy to be proved wrong.
andywoolloo wrote:You can delete mine. :ymblushing:
Well, this would be all a lot simpler if I just deleted posts I didn't like! But no, it's part of the story. I have however edited for the kiddies that visit this site.
andywoolloo wrote:I do not think you're high handed, Jools. And so what if you are, it's your forum. We abide by your rules, right?
Thanks, it's quite important to me personally, that, wherever possible we all get along. I guess the rules are mine, but they are meant to be there so everyone knows what the boundaries are.

Jools
mummymonkey
I've donated: $47.26!
My articles: 2
My images: 20
My cats species list: 41 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:8, p:104)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Blairgowrie (UK)
Location 2: Blairgowrie (UK)
Interests: Fish, Ornithology

Post by mummymonkey »

If we can get back on topic...
I clicked the linky at the bottom of this page then ordered a stack of books. How do I know any pennies were sent to PC? All seems a bit mysterious. A wee acknowledgement at the checkout stage would be a good idea.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

mummymonkey wrote:If we can get back on topic...
I clicked the linky at the bottom of this page then ordered a stack of books. How do I know any pennies were sent to PC? All seems a bit mysterious. A wee acknowledgement at the checkout stage would be a good idea.
I believe the normal way this works is that you see an advert on a web-site for a book or something else off Amazon, and you click that link and you are not supposed to know that you are paying the linkee. Jools is being very open with where the income for the site comes from, I guess partly because Jools is an open person, and partly because there is no profit made from it, but other sites may not actually want you to know that they make money from links like this.

--
Mats
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Technically, there is a code word (catfish for .co.uk and catfish02 for .com) embedded in the URL.

Code: Select all

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meter-Digital-AQUARIUM-Tester-Hydroponics/dp/B0037KIZRK?&camp=2842&linkCode=wsw&tag=catfish&creative=14384
Jools
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

o.k. I just ordered some stuff thru the link, let me know if it worked.

P.M. to jools with what stuff.

I've done it before thru here and it worked, unknown why I do not remember always to.
Firestorming
My cats species list: 27 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: NSW, Australia
Location 2: NSW, Australia

Post by Firestorming »

I have just recently discovered the joys of Amazon.com and I have to say that it shows the crazy taxes that get added on here. I bought a book delivered for $45 from the UK, that I found from an online store locally for $117, all prices converted to AUD. Now that I know I am helping PC (from purchases herein that is) I have an even better excuse to start building up on my forgotten realms collection.
Motorcycles are not an expensive hobby, try keeping L-cats in Australia
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Remember that ALL purchases done through the link here donates a small portion to PC, not just books about (cat)fish...

--
Mats
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

Just purchased a bunch of DVD's from Amazon via the link on the page.
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Some Amazon domains (including .co.uk) were down for I think about half an hour last night. The heretics all immediately jumped on the Anonymous/Assange/DDoS bandwagon (despite the group stating publicly that they didn't want to attack Amazon because it would spoil Christmas). It turned out to be a hardware failure in their Irish datacenter. That a web site was down during its peak period of demand in a time when a lot of people have been unable to get to the shops because of extreme weather should not be too surprising! Anyway, given recent posts, I thought this would be worth commenting on.

On a more positive note, I've seen quite a lot of activity in my report that shows me what people are buying. Also, although it's variable on what comes to Planet, I thought I'd post a recent example to show. I never see who buys what (unless you tell me!):

Hello Baby! Baby Book: A Keepsake Journal for Baby's First Year Amazon.com $11.53 3.99% 1 $11.53 $0.46

So, on a $11.53 purchase, the site gets $.046. Over a year, and a lot comes at Christmas, Amazon.com and amazon.co.uk pay for around three to five weeks hosting.

Your efforts are appreciated!

Jools
andywoolloo

Post by andywoolloo »

but if we all did it, it would be a great help, or maybe a tad of a help. but still a help.

I'll try to remember more.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Jools wrote:All~

Cheers,

Jools
A 'bump' for anyone who didn't realise - only cos i just remembered and made an amazon purchase going from the PC book review page!
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Dave Rinaldo

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Don't forget to place your Amazon holiday orders through Planet b-)

As well as the rest of your Amazon purchases throughout the year!!

excuzzzeme
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Clinton CT

Post by excuzzzeme »

I completely forgot about these links, then too, I forget most things thanks to medications,LOL. I did most of my Christmas shopping from them and now feel bad that I forgot about going thru here to help this site. I will try to do better in the future.

As far as another issue raised here, I am not exactly thrilled to see personal attacks maintained whether posted in jest or not. JMHO.

Return to “Speak Easy”