Driftwood Bonanza

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Driftwood Bonanza

Post by Shane »

Took the family to spend the day swimming in Chesapeake Bay. We went to a park in Leesylvania, Virginia for the first time. The park was originally the plantation of Robert E. Lee's grandparents.
Came across this pile of driftwood and managed to find four nice big pieces that came home with me. Also collected four spp of aquatic plant that I brought home to experiment with.
-Shane
Attachments
IMG_20170703_124928.jpg
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Driftwood Bonanza

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Sweet truck loads of DW! Looks like Virginian manzanita ;)
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Viktor Jarikov wrote: 05 Jul 2017, 21:32 Sweet truck loads of DW! Looks like Virginian manzanita ;)
Or a funeral pyre... Check inside for a Viking or Darth Vader. :))

I imagine Shane will have a lot of happy plecos for quite some time.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Great work! I regret now every penny I spent on bigoted, there is so much value and fun in sourcing your own.

Jools
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

Jools wrote: 06 Jul 2017, 13:00...I spent on bigoted...
Autocorrect?
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

Martin S wrote: 06 Jul 2017, 13:42
Jools wrote: 06 Jul 2017, 13:00...I spent on bigoted...
Autocorrect?
=))
What's your favorite Dressing~~
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Who'd blame yah! Not only do I hate to spend money on the bigoted, I hate to spend time too.

But seriously, Jools is 1000x right. The reward is incomparable when doing your own hunting and (legal) collecting in the nature. Both learning wise and satisfaction wise. Just blows everything out of the water versus going to the store... But there isn't always time. And the couch + laptop combo is so inviting, such a sweet-voiced Siren...
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Duh,sorry, of course I meant bogwood. Just really wanted to reply to Shane's post but did it in a rush getting on a plane. I should know better...

Jools
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

The really nice thing about finding a pile that big is that I could sort through a lot of pieces to find ones that had good shape and were aged just right (not so old the wood is soft). Predominant trees in this area are hardwoods (oak, beech, elm) so that helps too.

Also for Jools, Henry "Lighthorse" Lee was born in Dumfries, Colony of Virginia.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

One of the pieces. Each brick is 12 inches (30cm) for scale so this piece is about 4 feet long. Should be a really nice center piece in a four foot tank.
-Shane
Attachments
IMG_20170708_094916.jpg
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

@Shane

I am curious how you determine that wood found in nature like this is safe. I have had a bad experience with collected wood having been polluted. Fortunately, this was evident during pre-soaking and rinsing. Given the potential for contamination in the water from by oil/gas/etc. Airborne engine exhaust or other outdoor chemicals, especially stray fertilizer or pest killing sprays etc. are also a potential threat.

That wood pile looks like it has some nice looking pieces, but it would make me nervous using it unless I was absolutely certain is was safe. Is there any way you test it before putting it into a tank with fish?
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Valid concerns I'd be having too, along with embedded parasites, etc.

The worst kinds are the ones that successfully pass short-term test with feeder fish, minnows, etc. in a plastic tub but then end up poisoning / affecting your tank.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

I have collected my own driftwood all over the place. My tanks are full of pieces I have collected in South America, Africa, and the U.S. In over 20 years of doing this I have never once had a bad experience. I only collect from clean environments (it must be safe to swim and eat the fish). I always choose hardwoods, be they temperate or tropical, and I test the wood to ensure it has not already gone too soft.
The wood is then washed off with a hose and left in direct sun for a week. Mainly to make sure algae, snails, etc die off. Larger pieces are then soaked outdoors. Smaller pieces are often run through the dishwasher (no soap obviously) before being soaked for several weeks in a bucket.
I collect all my own driftwood, substrate, stones, leaves, etc for aquascaping. I see collecting aquarium decor in nature as similar to collecting my own fishes. Each piece has its own story. A giant piece of driftwood I carried out of the Orinoco delta and another favorite piece of ironwood found on safari in South Africa. The substrate in my Victoria tank is actual substrate I collected from the lake at Entebbe, Uganda and brought home.
I can't say what is right or wrong for anyone else, but I think many aquarists are overly fearful of using natural materials they find. Just be smart about it and take the time to properly select and prepare each piece.
-Shane
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thank you, Shane. Could you, please, elaborate on the softness test? How would I replicate it? (I don't mean softwood versus hardwood.)
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Viktor,
Just push your thumbnail into the wood. If the wood is soft, or has any give to it, leave it alone. The wood should be hard enough that your thumbnail can not sink in and leaves no mark on the wood.
-Shane
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Shane and Viktor,

What are the basic concerns regarding soft (capable of being punctured with a fingernail) wood? Indeed, I naturally look for solid (firm) wood when I collect pieces in the wild, but I've never considered the softness to be a bad thing, other than it might allow environmental chemicals to soak into the wood (as Viktor was concerned about above)... and if I suspect the environment is polluted (beyond what I'd consider acceptable), then I leave the piece behind.

Even in my tanks, some of the wood pieces eventually get rotten on their outer surface and I can scratch or poke into the wood with my fingernail. But I always thought that might be a good thing, because it would mean the wood is easier for plecos (especially babies) to scrape and eat. When I get a piece of wood in any of my non-pleco tanks (i.e, cory tanks), I transfer the wood to a pleco tank, and within a couple of days the soft outer layers are gone (eaten/scraped off) and the wood is reduced down to its harder inner core.

Is this a risky practice on my part?

Thanks, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Eric,
I do not think it is risky. I do the hardness test for three main reasons 1) Harder woods are denser and heavier and thus sink faster 2) The pieces have not started to decay and tend to last much longer 3) They hold up better against plecos over the years.

I have collected softer woods as food for Panaque and seen them entirely eaten over a few years. I also have large really hard pieces collected in Venezuela in 2000 that still look great in my tanks after 17 years of being grazed on by plecos.

I guess this is the difference between collecting wood as food and collecting big show pieces that will last many years.
-Shane
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

:)) Thanks for that perspective, Shane.

Cheers, Eric
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Just thinking about risk. When you buy aquarium wood in the shop,you don't actually know where it comes from, you don't know how sustainability harvested it is, how is it shipped, what pollution is it exposed to in transit and in the shop. Actually, all you've really got is some sort of comfort that the shop wouldn't sell you something that isn't good for your fish. These are often the same people who will sell you a common pleco or baby .

With wood I collect in the forest or stream, I know all of this backstory. Irrespective of financial cost, the emotional cost and risk is, for me, lower.

Jools
EdWalker
Location 1: Arlington

Post by EdWalker »

I've been collecting driftwood from the Potomac (Piscataway Park in Maryland) for the last few months now and have some gorgeous (at least to me) pieces that I would love to put in my tanks.

I've boiled and boiled and boiled these pieces and I guess I'm afraid to take the next step and actually put them in. I do notice that each time I spray them off with water there are little chunks that fall off. I'm sure that is a sign of decay and I'm fearful that that will hurt my fish. Also, when I leave them out of water for a few days they'll start getting this whitish looking fungus(??) on them. Each time I boil them it boils away but comes back each time. Any input you have for such a situation would be greatly appreciated if you care to give any. Thanks- Steven
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Steven, I am sure it will be fine, many fish will eat the "fungus"; in fact they relish it. What sort of fish are you going to have with the wood?

Jools
EdWalker

Post by EdWalker »

I have 4 plecos in my 55 gallon. 1 albino bristlenose, 1 bristlenose, 1 rubber lip, and 1 clown pleco :)

There are also 6 corydoras, 2 SA bumblebees, 3 pictus, and a striped raphael.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Those plecos will thank you for that unsterilised wood. Post pics!

Jools
EdWalker

Post by EdWalker »

Okay, I dropped the pieces that in last night and the Albino immediately had to go check them out. When I got up this morning the regular bristlenose was giving them a try. The rubber lip is still doing his regular "whatever, leave me alone" thing and the clown is chilling, as he always does, underneath the piece of mopani I tossed in there a month or two back. The cories like the new wood as well.

I'll give them all a few days to check these pieces out and then I'll post some good pics up of them :) Thanks for all of your help!
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have used a lot of cyprus. Its quite soft and in 10 yeras it will be gone. It needs to be weighted to stay down until it waterlogs well and even after with many pieces. But it sure looks pretty.
Image Image
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

TwoTankAmin wrote: 13 Jul 2017, 21:53 I have... a lot of cyprus... it sure looks pretty.
Wow, that really does look cool!

I have a few "unknown" pieces of driftwood (literally driftwood, collected along the Washington oceanic coast) that have not sunk in over a year of floating in the tank. None-the-less, the plecos ( and are the only plecos in the tank) are eating it, and it is slowly getting whittled down, although still floating.

My most beautiful wood is Manzanita. It's not "driftwood" per se, it's just "wood"... (I have wild {natural, not planted} Manzanita trees growing on my property so I can harvest wood whenever I please)...When my s and L397 do their thing, chewing on the surface, it brings out amazing grain. But it doesn't form grooves like your wood does, TTA... I imagine that's because the Manzanita wood is so dense. Oh, I guess we can't have it both ways. =((

Cheers, Eric
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Nearly all "driftwood" sold commercially has never been in the water. Mopani grows in dry climates in southern Africa and its density is actually a defense against termites.

Manzanita costs a fortune out here on the east coast. Amazes me as in my youth we burned it in massive amounts in California when we would clear a pasture.
-Shane

Return to “Speak Easy”