Fishes of the Llanos (Blackwater)?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
gahardy
Location 2: Canada

Fishes of the Llanos (Blackwater)?

Post by gahardy »

Yep! Another one of those crazy Blackwater enthusiasts that thinks plant-less, tea coloured water makes the most attractive aquariums. Previous interest has been, the Sungai Penju Drainage Basin, Anjongan, Kalimantan Barat, Indonesia. Now I have become interested in, still to slow, blackwaters of the Llanos, Venezuela. The idea of a seasonal floodplain has caught my attention as it is unlike any water biotope I have researched before. Trouble is I am finding that research really difficult. Just can't find that much information (in English anyway) on the fishes of the Llanos (as opposed to the Orinoco in general), both rainy season floods and/or dry season pools.

The center piece species to the setup I have in mind is Mikrogeophagus ramirezi (Rams) and/or Dicrossus filamentosus (Lyretail Checkerboard Cichlids), (multiple tanks). Plus Paracheirodon axelrodi (Cardinal Tetras) and Pristella maxillaris (X-ray Tetras). I think these are correct for the biotope, but I could be wrong seeing I have never "fished" these waters. I also believe Hemigrammus rhodostomus (Rummy-nose Tetra), Hemigrammus stictus (Red-base Tetra) and Copella nattereri (Spotted Tetra), maybe neighbors of those mentioned above.

Now my dilemma. Knowing the Callichthyidae and Loricariidae in company with these fishes and in this biotope. Upon study at "PlanetCatfish" I think that possibly, Corydoras habrosus (Salt And Pepper Cory) and Hemiloricaria eigenmanni (Common Whiptail Catfish) fit the criteria.

By the way, the habitat photo on the Hemiloricaria eigenmanni page is my image of how the biotope would appear in the dry season, while the habitat photo at http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/mi ... -ramirezi/ is somewhat how I imagine the floods would look, though these could be very different regions as, again, I have never been there, sadly.

So my questions, for those with more intimate knowledge of the region and it's fishes is;
1. Am I on the right track?
2. Is there anything you can add to the catfish, that fits the bill?

The knowledge I acquire from research such as this is as fascinating and important to me as the tanks themselves. So anything you can add would be greatly appreciated.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Fishes of the Llanos (Blackwater)?

Post by Jools »

Thanks for your PM on this topic too Gary, I'll reply here, you may also wish to PM Shane and ask him to join in as this is really his "thing" too.

That picture you asked about was taken near Calabozo. Take a close look at the trees, lower down they are brown, higher up they are light grey. The brown bit is what gets wet in the wet season. So, in that photo, all the land you see is covered by water.

I’d suggest if you’re interested in that part of the world then have a read of the Venezuelan diaries articles in the Shane’s World / Geography section of the site.

However, this is whitewater, not blackwater. We collected rams in there too but didn't find any of the characins you mention.

Jools
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

http://m.youtube.com/#/results?q=venezuela%20fish&sm=3

Every aquarist should watch Ivan's videos... over and over.

In this series he builds tanks right at the collection site using materials and fishes from the location itself. Amazing!

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
panaque
My images: 7
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:24)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Cornwall, United Kingdom
Location 2: Cornwall, United Kingdom

Post by panaque »

The links in Shane's message didn't work for me but this is where you want to go I think: https://www.youtube.com/user/fishfromvenezuela
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Two books worth seeking out as well. I really wish there were studies like Machado Allison's for other biotopes.
-Shane
Attachments
IMG_20140128_203628.jpg
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
gahardy

Post by gahardy »

Thank you for the info. I have decided that creating a blackwater fish community of the Llanos is going to much more difficult then a stream in northern Borneo, my last project. It is such a large, variable area with so many inhabitants. Also little information online or in books on what goes where.

So I am going to make a community from those I like known to inhabit black, low pH, very low dH, waters in the region, hopping to make a close proximity. To that end I am including; Rummy-nose (Hemigrammus rhodostomus) and Cardinal (Paracheirodon axelrodi) Tetras, Blackwing (Carnegiella marthae) Hatchetfish, Slate (Corydoras concolor) and Salt And Pepper (Corydoras habrosus) Corys, Twig [Farlowella acus (vittata)] Catfish and the centerpiece will be Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) or Chessboard (Dicrossus filamentosus) Cichlids.

I am as much into Aroids as I am fishes and my tanks are all riparian in style with immersed plants along the back and others with magnetic holders along the sides. Although it is found in most easterly Venezuela, I have been trying everywhere I can find to see if it is possible to acquire about 1/2 dozen, Jasarum steyermarkii tubers. If anyone here has any info to this end please let me know.
gahardy

Post by gahardy »

Shane wrote:Two books worth seeking out as well. I really wish there were studies like Machado Allison's for other biotopes.
-Shane
They look great!! Are there English versions? :)
.Plecomania.
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: New Jersey USA

Post by .Plecomania. »

imo rams are waay too small to be any kind of centerpiece fish.
gahardy

Post by gahardy »

All the fish in this tank are nano. I am building another tank for Discus and Atums.

Really the center piece of this tank is the South American Aroids.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Just to be clear several species you list above are not blackwater fishes. Rams, Farlowella vittata, C concolor, and C habrosus are all whitewater fishes from the llanos.

As the llanos rivers are predominantly fed by streams in the Andes the vast majority are not black, low pH, low dh waters.

There are a few odd exceptions like the Rio Cinaruco that are part of the llanos but are so far south that their headwaters are not in the Andes. Building a tank around these fishes would be very difficult though as they are not commonly exported.

If you are set on a blackwater tank from Venezuela/Colombia you might be better off going for a Rio Atabapo biotope.
-Shane
gahardy

Post by gahardy »

??Rio Atabapo would include:

Hemigrammus bleheri, Hemigrammus stictus, Nannostomus eques, Paracheirodon axelrodi, Copella meinkeni
Dekeyseria sp. (L052), Hypancistrus sp. (L454), Sturisomatichthys sp. `RIO ATABAPO`, Tatia musaica
Dicrossus gladicauda, Uaru fernandezyepezi, Pterophyllum altum

no corys?

Return to “Tank Talk”