Help!!!

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Hannah24792
Location 1: Wallasey
Location 2: Wirral

Help!!!

Post by Hannah24792 »

Hi all,

We have a yellow / red (maybe orange) tail catfish and she (can't be sure she's a girl) has a yellow stain on the side of her mouth, also she's got slight lump in her stomach. :-??

Can anyone help me with what this could be, has anyone had the same problem? X_X

I do have pictures but being new i haven't got a clue how to upload them if someone can please point me in the right direction so i can show you all. ~X(

Thank you!
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Help!!!

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

When you click "Full editor and Preview" under quick reply, you will find an "Attachment" tab under the reply window that can be used to attach up to 3 pics. Or you can link or hyperlink them.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Hannah24792

Post by Hannah24792 »

Image Image
jodilynn
I've donated: $84.00!
My cats species list: 85 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 7
Spotted: 41
Location 2: BeeEffaEe, MI

Post by jodilynn »

I'm unsure of what the yellow coloration is, the lump in the stomach could just be overeating, is the fish displaying any odd behavior? Is it just floating listlessly at the top? Is it still eating? Are the other fish in the tank ok?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

The lump in the stomach is likely to be a single item the fish has swallowed. Like an ornamental, filter part or suchlike. They will typically regurgitate it. If they don't then you have a problem. This is not an uncommon happenstance with red tails and presumably hybrids like this fellow too. Search the forum for more examples of it.

Jools
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

This is a man-made TSNxRTC catfish hybrid with a strong genetic deformity common among them and referred to as "duck bill" etc. The yellowness does not appear too unusual as some display variable yellowing of the white/light-colored areas.

As for the lump, are we to understand that it never changes or goes away? It could merely be one of those parrot fish tank mates.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Hannah24792

Post by Hannah24792 »

thanks everyone.

As soon as i seen it...i had to do a fish count! haha!

She still has the lump, but is eating / acting completely fine.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Still unclear if the lump is always there. If it is, it could be a part of its genetic deformities. If it's new, it could be a tumor.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “Tank Talk”