Pleco that can live with Gymnogeophagus sp.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Reteos
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Calgary, Alberta
Location 2: Canada
Interests: Aquariums, Plants, Bonsai, Video games, Rock climbing, Hiking, Photography

Pleco that can live with Gymnogeophagus sp.

Post by Reteos »

Hello all, I am thinking of starting a temperate aquarium for gymnogeophagus and other subtropical species.
I read that the Gymnos do best between 46 and 86 degrees, but ideally should be between 60 degrees to 77 degrees.

I see mentions of plecos that do well with gymnos but no specific names. I was wondering if what would work.
I would prefer something more common but I may be able to get access to some less common species.
Thanks!
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Pleco that can live with Gymnogeophagus sp.

Post by Jools »

Pretty much anything from the genus found south of the Amazon drainage would be a contender? There is a map on the genus page.

Jools
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Reteos wrote: 02 May 2017, 04:11 Hello all, I am thinking of starting a temperate aquarium for gymnogeophagus and other subtropical species.
I read that the Gymnos do best between 46 and 86 degrees, but ideally should be between 60 degrees to 77 degrees.
This is just wrong

Ideal temperature depends on species. Gymnos can be found as far south as Montevideo and Buenos Aires. In Montevideo, the average over 2001-2016 is 10 C in June to 22 C in January. 10 C equals 50 F and 22 C = 70 F , more or less

But, that is an average over 16 years. I have mine @ 5 C/40 F in winter, and in Summer the water can reach 30 C / 85 F or more. The average over the years is 16 C or 60 F

Buenos Aires, being more land-locked is a bit cooler in winter and a bit warmer in summer (Uruguay never sees snow, Buenos Aires 1 in 10 winters or so)

But fish from the north of Uruguay, say form Saltyo or Artigas, will be used to 5 C or 10 F warmer, always.

Gymnos can be found as for north a Paraguay, where the temperature is 27 C / 80 F for
9 months with a short winter deep neer 22 C / 70 F.

Ideally you would keep Gymnos with catfish from the same area.

This is not easy, unless you go there yourself. Take a look at http://www.aqvaterra.com/ for the options. Felipe does speak English. Quite well, although he claims it is not that good
cats have whiskers
Reteos
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Calgary, Alberta
Location 2: Canada
Interests: Aquariums, Plants, Bonsai, Video games, Rock climbing, Hiking, Photography

Post by Reteos »

Sorry if my information isn`t quite accurate I got it from an article on Gymnogeophagus species.
as of right now I have an empty cycled tank and I was wondering which of the more commonly available pleco species or other catfish are compatible in terms of temperature.

I havent selected species yet so I was trying to do some research so I could set a moderate temperature to make them happy. I have heard they are okay at room temperature and in the winter even in a basement (My aquarium is in a basement bedroom)
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

What I wrote is based on actual climate figures.

I got a book which suggest keeping Gymnogeophagus meriodonalis @ 18 C. I collected them myself near Montevideo. Temps see above

What do you think is better: a book or one´s own findings?
cats have whiskers

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”