Breeding Doradids

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Divemaster
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:41)
Spotted: 13
Location 1: Pennsylvania, USA
Location 2: Pennsylvania, USA
Interests: Fish Tanks, Scuba Diving, Fishing, Boating, General Biology, CATFISH

Breeding Doradids

Post by Divemaster »

Nearly all internet sources that talk about the captive care of Doradids state that it's near impossible to breed Doradids in the aquarium. However, I theorize this may be because no one has extensively worked with any of the species with an objective of breeding them.

Talking with some guest speakers (cat-experts) and fellow members of my local fish club (GPASI) back at our monthly meeting in October we discussed the possibility that Doradids might not be as difficult to breed as they're made out to be if enough effort is put forth.

I'm currently building my new & improved/larger Fishroom and it will have about 25-30 tanks in it when I'm done. I've decided to devote a couple tanks to an attempt at breeding a more common species of Doradids such as Acanthodoras cataphractus or Agymyxis pectinifrons (I'd try Platydoras armatulus but I don't have space for any large tanks other than my large catfish display tank, I personally feel a tank no smaller than 75 gallons (or 48"x18" footprint) could be used to successfully breed P. armatulus due to its large size.

I'll be breeding the fish in either a 20 Gallon (30"x12"x12") or a 30 Gallon (36"x12"x16") and rear fry (well, if I'm successful, that is) in a 10 gallon or two.

After the long discussion I had with my fellow club members, I feel I've pretty much got a basic understanding on how to condition the fish by changing temp, light, and food type & intake over a period of 3-4 months.

I've been doing and will continue to do research on what information is known about the spawning behavior of this family of catfish and will hopefully have a setup ready within 1-3 months for this project.

This thread will act as a sort of journal for my progress in this project and with any luck, will serve as a future reference for others who wish to breed catfish from the fascinating family Doradidae. I'll be sure to post here whenever I discover valuable information or make progress in my endeavor.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Breeding Doradids

Post by Jools »

Great project.

There are (old) breeding reports of Agamxyis and Platydoras indeed there are pictures of the latter on the site. I agree it's becuase no -one with experience of breeding and raising egg-scattering species has "had a go" and also that it probably takes longer to mature species to a point they are ready to reproduce (versus, say, a tetra). As always, very happy to record the progress you make for future generations!

Cheers,

Jools
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I am already looking forward towards reading any result.

Doradids grow slowly, and do get very old. I still got 2 Platydoras which I got in 1988, and then they were some 10 cm, that is not newborn either.

Therefore I would assume they breed only once a year, and that would most likely be in the beginning of the wet season. Preparing the fishes for breeding would require presenting the fishes with a dry period - better put, something related to a dry period - and then the wet season.

It could be the dry period (little water movement, high temperatures, foul water, little food) ought to be followed by an extended wet period - that is, enough time to fatten up for he adults - before starting courtship.

I do have quite a few ideas, but not the room. Good luck trying
cats have whiskers
drago
Location 2: Poland

Post by drago »

At propagating fish being found in soft waters parameters are most significant including the hardness and the pH. hardly anyone is rearing it fish in the water for hardnesses 1 - 3. And keeping in the too high hardness causes impairment of genital organs. From here very much he/she rarely reaches the reproduction. An appropriate feed which is stimulating is still reaching the spawning. At me e.g. Xenentodon garfish cancila rubbed themselves like crazy when swam amongst live fishes to food. A simulation of seasons is a very good idea. If you want there is a little information about it on my side. http://akwadrago.pl/component/content/a ... -rostratus
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Good luck with this Divemaster. Sounds like a worthwhile project. I agree that lack of people trying is more likely than them being inherently very difficult.

If you want my two cents, I would start with a more outgoing and smaller whitewater species such as /. Generally, fishes from blackwaters are more complicated, as drago suggests.

From the clog (did Jools or Shane write this?):
clog wrote:Has not been documented in the aquarium but reports do exist of reproduction in the wild which involves a bubble nest built in plants which the male guards. The author has collected very small ( < 10 mm SL) young Amblydoras in semi-aquatic reeds and partially submerged shrubs. No adults were collected in water about 45 cm deep. Youngsters were everywhere and one swipe of the net could turn up 10 or more young.
Water level could be dropped to a few inches, and the rafts of floating vegetation could be simulated in the aquarium using floating plants, twigs, pieces of cork, standard spawing mops, etc etc.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Yes, I wrote that. It is clear to me they spawn in marginal vegetation.

Jools
Divemaster

Post by Divemaster »

drago and eacoll, that is a very good idea to start with more whitewater species such as Amblydoras. For these species, would the addition of a powerhead be a necessity to condition them to spawn since they're found in whitewater environments?
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Whitewater, at least in the context of fishkeeping, isn't an indication of strong current. Simply it is water the colour of coffee with milk.

Jools
racoll

Post by racoll »

Yes, and most importantly it means the fish are happy in neutral (slightly alkaline to slightly acidic water) conditions, and should therefore (in theory) breed in most regular tapwater without any messing around.

I don't think water movement is too important for these fishes. Any current with certainly interfere with their ability to make a bubblenest.
drago
Location 2: Poland

Post by drago »

I agree with racoll and Jools, this species of water movement is not needed, their construction and appearance indicate even that love the water slowly flowing or standing. More important to stimulate spawning is feeding. Best high amine levels, food, earthworms, Enchytraeus grindal worms, Tubifex worms, mosquito larvae black also stimulate spawning, for example characidae. Soft water is the basis of 1-2 °.
Divemaster

Post by Divemaster »

Would a pH of 7.6 be acceptable for breeding? I'm guessing not but that's what my tap is. I can always age the water via peat and/or oak leaves if 7.6 isn't low enough.
racoll

Post by racoll »

Yes, seems perfect for a whitewater species. Adding some oak leaves cannot hurt.
Divemaster

Post by Divemaster »

Jools wrote:Yes, I wrote that. It is clear to me they spawn in marginal vegetation.

Jools
Must've missed this post before. Would you recommend a plant such as java fern or would hornwort be better for vegetation to make a bubble nest, Jools? Those are pretty much my only two candidates (mother than java moss) for plants as I don't have a very green thumb for growing plants.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Wisteria, as long as you've not got water current, is hard not to grow.

Jools
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

I am trying to source some So hopefully when I find them (I will find them) you can give me some tips!
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”