Corydoras pantanalensis query

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
strawbx
Location 1: Chesterfield, UK
Interests: Aquatics\Computers

Corydoras pantanalensis query

Post by strawbx »

Corydoras pantanalensis. Anybody got any info re this species.
I'm pretty sure this is one of my unknown species. Emerald green back, pale coppery belly. Small circular markings appearing in caudal & on body on a couple.
Alan.
Ryan S
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Herefordshire,
Location 2: UK

Cat-elog

Post by Ryan S »

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/sp ... cies_id=65
"Knaack, who collected and described the species, reports captive spawning. He states the fish are easy to breed and compares them to C. geryi (also easy to breed). At 15m length the fry are brownish mottled."

And huge!!! :lol:
300L S. American Community
57L Cory breeding project
and a 60L Hex tank for my Otto's
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I'll change that to 15mm...

--
Mats
kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Post by kim m »

I have a group of 8 (6 males, 2 females).

The males got in their "breeding colours" when kept at 24-26 degrees and medium current in rainwater. No breeding action though.

...tried a "dryseason" simulation to see if this would get them going...they don't seem to like strong currents. They are now "Brochis"-coloured.
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
joern
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Oldenburg, Germany

Post by joern »

Hi Kim
kim m wrote:...tried a "dryseason" simulation to see if this would get them going...they don't seem to like strong currents. They are now "Brochis"-coloured.
how was your dry saison ? What temperture, food supply ..and how long was it ?

And at what temperature and food do you normaly keep them ?

for german speeking catfish-keepers, this species is also discussed here:
http://www.aquaristikimdetail.de/thread ... adid=12667

Despite Knaaks work nobody else seems to making this species.
Just found this from Switzerland:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/discus/diskus5.html
in the middel of the page it says:
"At the buttom one of my C.boilivianus (C5) fry(?) rests besides a young hologenus. Besides these C5 i have spawned seven more Cory-species."
No more detailes info avaiable, she keeps her discus at 30° C +/-1° and good food supply, much water changes (daily 5-10% sometimes 2/3 of the tank) at tap water GH15-18° 1:1 with RO-water.
best regards
Joern
kim m

Post by kim m »

After advice from Erik Schiller (not his idea witht he small tank, he suggested a larger one, wich I couldn't find room for at that time) I kept them in rather poor conditions:

I kept them in a (too small, I know) tank of 63 litres from may to mid september. The temeprature rose to 32 degrees celcius due to the hot summer. waterflow almost none and they were fed once or twice each week with a few pellets.

Then, mid september, I moved them to a 160 litre tank and raised the waterlevel form 10 cm. to full depth 5 cm. each day. Gradually I introduced an airstone and later a small powerhead (400 litres/hour) and later again a 2000 litre/hour powerhead and daily 50% waterchanges with rainwater. The temperature now is 24-25 degrees celcius. They're fed live earthworm, frozen bloodworms, Tetra Tabimin. They're fed twice each day.

I am thinking of taking the powerhead away and kust use airdriven HMF-filtering. Maybe raising the temp a degree or two.

I will have a look at you links Joern. Thanks :-)
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
kim m

Post by kim m »

Joern...I looked at the links, but I'm not very good whem it comes to understandig German. Usually I use AltaVista Babelfish, but I can't really get anything out of the translations it gives me from this forum. Usually when I translate from http://www.corydorasforum.de it goes well, but not with this.
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
joern

Post by joern »

Ho Kim

oh yes, the linked forum is a little more "special" than the other one... :wink:
and more frequented by experienced breeders.

Also Erik answered in that thread, his article on breeding the closely related C.gery will be published in the next isse of the german magazin DATZ
http://www.datz.de/HHIZ2DH6oBXIaEIZ2DH2 ... 15EBFBD6B3

What i did with mine pantanalensis ?

In middle August i unplugged the heater...as we had a very warm summer here (as you mentioned) Temp was about 27-30degree C, than dropped 2nd half of August to somewhat about 20degrees. Nearly no food supply, a little frozen foods (artemia or bloodworms) once a week, sometimes forgotten, no water changes...and no more nutrients in the tank, blue algea (cyanophyceans)all over the tank (not even easy to have such a show tank in the living room :shock: problems with girl friend too.. 8) .).

Last week I started feeding freshly caught Daphnia and white moskito larvae and a 50% water change...and rose temp to 22degrees.

It's a 130x60x60cm tank, two hamburg mat filters each driven by air lift about 800 to 1000l/h water.
in the tank also Brochis cf britskii and B.multiradiatus.
The cf britskii feel fine !! good chance for a spawn (had one last year but no fry)
the b.multiradiatus feel fine, females get a little "nervous"..but need more to eat I guess.

I will switch the pantanlensis in another tank (80x40x50cm), keeping them cold and with current and probably adding some "dirt" to the water (bentonit-suspension) for one or two month, than rising temp an food supply ....we'll see what happens than.
That is the result from the discussion in the link above.
best regards
Joern
kim m

Post by kim m »

Yes, Erik thought they might be spawned like C.geyri...

Thank you for the summing-up in English Joern :)
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
joern

Post by joern »

Hi,

yes, and he mentioned, that an important thing would be the transparency of the water.....
This was allready mentioned by Knaak 2001.

That's why I will add some bentonit suspension, also other clay-minerals should work, or something like like "easy life" or so.

This will be diluted by the beginning rainfal to clearer (and warmer ??) waters....
best regards
Joern

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”