The PlanetCatfish coolwall thread

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Re: The PlanetCatfish coolwall thread

Post by L number Banana »

P. maccus, cool but not sub-zero.

It looks like a fish version of a teddy bear, not dorky fluffy ones, more like classic antique ones. Nice colouring but not in-your-face.
The first catfish for many people.
It watches everything with interest.
Has personality, one of mine is pretty much invisible, one is a small battering ram to anything that nears his territory the other two stick together and are visible and fun to watch when good food shows up.
Looks like a Muppet when eating. Cute.
Small enough for anyone's tank.
Can hang with friends if there's room or can go solo with no ill effects.

Vehicle equivalent? Either a good ol' mercedes benz/old Volvo or a small bulldozer and who wouldn't want to play with a bulldozer if no one was watching?

Cool.
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
wrasse
My images: 9
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Location 2: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Interests: catfish, photography, gym, cooking

Post by wrasse »

Where's the excitement with this fish???

All the comments are that it's 'middle of the road'.

So for me, P Maccus is uncool.

BTW, Jools Clarkson - hello? are you loosening your grip on this thread? I thought you had the final say with each fish...? Or did Clare lay down the law????????? Ooops, again. Tee hee.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

OK, I'm back! RTC is uncool, zebra is seriously uncool. That's the Clarksonesque low-down and I will explain the reasoning so far when I do the cool wall update I am planning for the weekend. It's a mix of the keepers and the fish I guess in summary.

OK with Panaque maccus, but let's keep going on a species until either I say it's time for a new one or no posts on this thread for > 3 days? On the condition please that we do a couple of non plecos (and non South Americans) next?

For me, Panaque maccus is cool, this is because it's common, cheap, interesting breeding project and a great worker fish. Only reason it's not super cool is it's effect on filters! That it has many keepers is a cool thing too. Much better this than common plecos that grow too big for most tanks eh?

Jools
RickE
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 2: Watford, UK

Post by RickE »

Jools wrote:... this is because it's common, cheap, interesting breeding project and a great worker fish. Only reason it's not super cool is it's effect on filters! That it has many keepers is a cool thing too. Much better this than common plecos that grow too big for most tanks eh?

Jools
Bit like those common, cheap, interesting to soup-up Corsas you see in the hands of boy racers everywhere. Never lusted after one of them myself. Uncool to me.
Rick
wrasse

Post by wrasse »

Jools wrote:On the condition please that we do a couple of non plecos (and non South Americans) next?
What do you mean - a wels catfish? (no, I know you don't mean that... :beardy: )
Or a gaggatus??? - now that IS a cool cat.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

wrasse wrote:
Jools wrote:On the condition please that we do a couple of non plecos (and non South Americans) next?
What do you mean - a wels catfish? (no, I know you don't mean that... :beardy: )
Or a gaggatus??? - now that IS a cool cat.
Well, let's just discuss P. maccus for a few days eh?? ;-)

Jools
wrasse

Post by wrasse »

Of course :D . And whats a gaggatus anyway? Had to look it up - gagata - clown catfish (I think...)
RickE
My cats species list: 7 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 2: Watford, UK

Post by RickE »

This has gone a bit quiet hasn't it?

I think it's because to get a good conversation going, the fish has to be something controversial and/or highly desirable so that people care enough to have a post. P.maccus probably isn't in that category.

Maybe Jools should just decide which species is up for discussion next in Clarksonesque fashion?
Rick
Richard B
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

RickE wrote:This has gone a bit quiet hasn't it?

I think it's because to get a good conversation going, the fish has to be something controversial and/or highly desirable so that people care enough to have a post. P.maccus probably isn't in that category.

Maybe Jools should just decide which species is up for discussion next in Clarksonesque fashion?
I do think you've got something here. The TG coolwall does however have a bit of everything on so to replicate that we need the less popular, less fancy etc

Jools might wanna give us a bit of guidance...

without giving anything away, i'm composing a list of fish i'd like to see (in my head) included on the PC coolwall
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
sidguppy
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

ALL L-numbers and Ancistrinae are UN-cool by definition and by concept

-they're hyped to death! anything that's hyped isn't worth the bother.

-they get tagged by numbers instead of proper names, even if they HAVE a proper name; they still are tagged by their numbers.....
wich makes them all the more appeasable to the Neaderthal type of analphabetic inbred crowd. a partof the population I can enjoy my hobby without.

-fish that are collectibles by number do appeal to the money-obsessed crowd, the beancounters, the hypers and the status infected fools with their bling bling, big cars, fat butts and misty glasses.
the type of person that's too lazy to learn proper scientific names, but can do the numbers and pinpoint the worth of their hobby to the cent with extreme accuracy.
and the fish get equalized with "how much it's worth". the more liquid money one has the better?

-all Ancistrinae with the possible exception of the Punk Pleco look like they come from a mold and differ in paintjob only. it's production line stuff. they don't even have proper whiskers!

-the massive hype on anything with a suckermouth has put all the other catfish into a narrow margin :shock: something that i'm not likely to forgive the traders, importers, exporters and hobbyists, even if i live to be 200......

-for this particular species Uncooldom is also proven by the fact that they're at least as shy as Auchenipterids but lack the enthousiasm at feedingtime and the whiskers of the latter.
so you can buy it and only see it again if you sell it. some fish....

now if you want to talk about a COOL Loricariid, i'd like to introduce you to Sturisomatichthys leightoni :mrgreen:
it's tonguetangling name positively drips elegance, gracility, beauty and simplicity

and LO! and BEHOLD!

it has all :beardy:
Valar Morghulis
wrasse

Post by wrasse »

'hey're hyped to death! anything that's hyped isn't worth the bother.'

Sidguppy, you are inflammatory !!! And u know it!

If you had a tropical pond with L no cats, like Panaque Xingu tapajos (I want!), you wouldn't say that.
sidguppy
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

my dear man,
do you really think that IF I was lucky enough to have a tropical pond
there would be L numbers in it?

no way!!!!!

any tropical pond would house my Paretroplus species, and I would try REALLY HARD to lay my hands on Gogo atratus or Ancharius spp to go with them.
and if I could not get those fish then I'd go and aim for the first captive breeding of Auchenoglanis occidentalis; a prima candidate for any tropical pond

or pond-breeding Xenoclarias eupogon if there still are any left......to save this fish from the brink of extinction would catapult me right into the historybooks and you can't get any better than that :mrgreen:

or of course Synodontis granulosus
the Granny breeding in my own pond.......

no I don't need any L-numbers to get rich and/or very very famous (wich is far better than rich) in the catfishy business once I can lay my hands on a tropical pond
no sirrah! :beardy: :foggie:
Valar Morghulis
L number Banana

Well, it's about time Sidguppy. :wink:

But I was way off when you wrote this:
...to get rich and/or very very famous (wich is far better than rich)....
I would have thought you would be the exact opposite: anti-celebrity but money to have fun forever. Goes to show that no one can ever be pegged down.
-for this particular species Uncooldom is also proven by the fact that they're at least as shy as Auchenipterids but lack the enthousiasm at feedingtime and the whiskers of the latter.
so you can buy it and only see it again if you sell it. some fish....
Totally disagree with that part. My P.maccus are very visible, one is feisty when other fish draw near and guards his territory like a small battering ram, and three of the four are public eaters but not so wild that you can't observe them.

Okay, no beautiful whiskers.

Sturisomatichthys leightoni = subzero. Can only be called elegant.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Sid Guppy wrote: ... they get tagged by numbers instead of proper names, even if they HAVE a proper name; they still are tagged by their numbers ...
... wich makes them all the more appeasable to the Neaderthal type of analphabetic inbred crowd.

-fish that are collectibles by number do appeal to the money-obsessed crowd ...

... the type of person that's too lazy to learn proper scientific names, but can do the numbers and pinpoint the worth of their hobby to the cent with extreme accuracy ...
... and the fish get equalized with "how much it's worth".
So, so true :lol:

But, I still think P. maccus are COOL, maybe because they're not at all desired by this crowd!
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

P. maccus is way, way cool. First species of Panaque I ever collected in their natural habitat. For that they will always hold a special place to me. If they are available where I am I will always find some space for a little colony.

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
sidguppy

Post by sidguppy »

I would have thought you would be the exact opposite: anti-celebrity but money to have fun forever. Goes to show that no one can ever be pegged down.
hehe

i never had much money; in the past i've been quite poor for a loooooong time
wich tought me that money's just rubbish.
everytime i have a bit, i'll spend it.

but with a million dollars, what would I do with it?
I'm too old to enjoy it the way I would love to, if I stumbled across a million dollars.
now a million dollars and being 25 again, NOW you're talking!

it'll likely kill me if i had it now; overdosed on anything you can think of.
beer, choppers, gnu's, wildebeests, siberian tigers, a private army, a spaceship to get me away from here, nitrous oxide in divin gear, too many cookies, powerful firearms, my own little civil war at home....nah
money's for rich people. give me fame anytime!
or health.......you can keep ALL my money and ALL my fish and books and my old motorbike and even my women if it would get me a healthy body instead of a creakin' corpse.
money = overrated! :beardy:

about P maccus
yes, they have their charm.
and I too have kept it, solo or in a group several times.
but despite that every catfish I've seen ith whiskers stuck on overrates any Loricariid every single time.....

I trade you 500 maccus for a small nice breeding colony of Trichogenes anytime. :mrgreen:
Valar Morghulis
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

RickE wrote:This has gone a bit quiet hasn't it?

Well, you've all been going a bit fast. I want to record all this and set-up the cool-wall in the real world, but I have to be at home with some time to do that. I've not been home since Monday.

Meantime, I see we're having a good old debate around l-numbers (Hype L70 I dare you!), so hopefully that will keep us "spraffing" until I chose another species to lay bare.

Jools
sidguppy

Post by sidguppy »

L70?

i don't have to hype that; the fact that it looks like the gazillion other Hypans just with another paintjob is quite sufficient to get sold aplenty once it'll hit the stores

L numbers hype themselves these days.
even if they're pink and veiltailed or dyed in awful colors; if it's got amour, the run-off-the-mill Hypancistrus/peckoltia/panaque shape and a sucker; it'll sell like hot cakes

ESPECIALLY if it hasn't ot a name, only a number and it's expensive.

regrdless of how ugly it is or how pretty or if it eats only babies for breakfast s sole food; if it's a suckermouth armored catfish with a hefty price and a number-tag, it'll sell. period.
Valar Morghulis
MatsP
My articles: 4
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

That may be true in the Netherlands, but I bought some recently for £15 each. Sure, that's more than double what I paid for the that I bought a couple of weeks ago. And the L411 had been in the shop for at least a year.

--
Mats
sidguppy

Post by sidguppy »

bargain prices and alberti has never been for sale in the netherlands whatsoever.....not in the last 35 years that I know of.

that hypan that you linked does double or triplke here and always sells to the last one.
Valar Morghulis
Richard B
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Awh Sid , i wish i had a million dollars spare for you - either that or a return trip to Madagascar with a dip net & export license :D
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
MatsP
My articles: 4
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

sidguppy wrote:bargain prices and alberti has never been for sale in the netherlands whatsoever.....not in the last 35 years that I know of.

that hypan that you linked does double or triplke here and always sells to the last one.
Completely derailing the discussion, but apparently, S. alberti aren't that hard to find on the list from "Congo", according to the manager in MA Oxford(Wheatley). If you get here to England and we have some time to plan it, I'm pretty sure we can arrange for you to get some.

--
Mats
sojapat
My images: 17
My catfish: 442
Spotted: 274
Location 1: Ugly Wigan, Lancs
Location 2: Wigan
Interests: Drink,Fish ,micro organisms,

Post by sojapat »

Panaque maccus is a SKODA ! I would like to nominate L273 titanic its handsome,most people could keep it (for its lifespan)
It is breedable with effort ,It is a sub zero cat ! apart from the ban :)
Keep your powder dry
Haavard Stoere
My articles: 3
My images: 65
My aquaria list: 10 (i:9)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Norway, Stavanger

Post by Haavard Stoere »

L273 is sub zero. I see no reason for further discussion. :wink:

P. maccus is cool.
Bijn
My cats species list: 23 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 2: Belgium (Kortrijk)

Post by Bijn »

P. maccus is cool,

the owners aren't donkey's with to much money but just people who want a nice pleco that they can drive. Excuse me, I mean that they can take proper care for.

And it has a little edgy side, they shit wooden sausages. That makes them unpopular for people whom like sterile tanks, and these persons are uncool what makes P. maccus cool.
sojapat

Post by sojapat »

Classic... shitting wooden sausages...for this they have to be cool ... :D
How many females would call that cool ... :o none
Love it :thumbsup:
Is this a boyz thread?
Keep your powder dry
Haavard Stoere
My articles: 3
My images: 65
My aquaria list: 10 (i:9)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Norway, Stavanger

Post by Haavard Stoere »

Sweet :thumbsup:
sojapat

Post by sojapat »

I am not sure that shitting wood is cool?
Is the coolwall about funky cats or their shite?
I love cats but what would girls find attractive about their toilet habits? :oops:
I know girls that love nutty cats though... :lol:
Haavard ...you know what I am looking at here and it aint sausages :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep your powder dry
L number Banana

How many females would call that cool ... :o none
Most of us are just not fascinated with those things. I once heard a turtle discussion and soon realized that the conversation was not about turtles at all. :roll:
The P.maccus is cool. But if a guy just has to laugh when someone uses the word 'buns' in a sentence, off with his head, I choose not to have kids.
So, I like this comment:
I love cats but what would girls find attractive about their toilet habits? :oops:
I know girls that love nutty cats though... :lol:
Yes we do but only the interesting ones.
Actually that's a very good point for all catfish - no litter scooping :thumbsup:

L273= boring, therefore uncool.
L070+ more fishlike and nicer colour, cool.
sidguppy

Post by sidguppy »

Richard, I'd go for that net and license

saving Gogo atratus from the brink of extinction by captive breeding efforts has a nice ring, doesn't it?

keep the million :D
Valar Morghulis

Return to “Speak Easy”