people's experience on corydoras schwartzi

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
DJ-don
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Canberra Australia
Location 2: Canberra Australia

people's experience on corydoras schwartzi

Post by DJ-don »

Hey guys

I was thinking of getting som and maybe breed them

i was just wondering how big the tank should to atleast hold 6
how to breed them
tank setup

or anything else on how to care for them

thanks in advance
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: people's experience on corydoras schwartzi

Post by MatsP »

Should be "typical cory care", and a tank of about 60 liter should be enough - bigger is obviously slightly better as always.

--
Mats
panaque
My images: 7
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:24)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Cornwall, United Kingdom
Location 2: Cornwall, United Kingdom

Post by panaque »

These seem to be a lot harder to breed than many other Corydoras. I have had mine for about 9 years I think and as far as I am aware they spawned only once in all that time. That was when they had just been joined by some C. panda and seemed to respond to the spawing of those. Years later now, they are still cohabiting with the pandas who still spawn regularly but the novelty seems to have worn off very quickly for the schwartzi.
If your aim is to spawn a Corydoras then I would choose a more obliging species.
Cheers
Frank
unotim123
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 1: Manisa
Location 2: Turkey

Post by unotim123 »

I agree with Frank.I have schwartzi for 3 years but I didnt see any spawning behaviour.Well then Frank,If It is hard to breed schwartzi,why this species is common almost everywhere?Are they all collecting from nature?
Forever cory!!

Onur ŞAHİN
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

It's not always that breeders in commercial breeding have the same methods that we do as hobbyists - for example, hormone injection or other forms of "forced" breeding is entirely possible in commercial breeding - but not something I would recommend for hobbyists. But perhaps it's just that the commercial breeders know the right tricks...

But it is possible that all the fish we see in the hobby are wild-caught - although I doubt it.

--
Mats
panaque
My images: 7
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:24)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Cornwall, United Kingdom
Location 2: Cornwall, United Kingdom

Post by panaque »

MatsP wrote:It's not always that breeders in commercial breeding have the same methods that we do as hobbyists - for example, hormone injection or other forms of "forced" breeding is entirely possible in commercial breeding - but not something I would recommend for hobbyists. But perhaps it's just that the commercial breeders know the right tricks...

But it is possible that all the fish we see in the hobby are wild-caught - although I doubt it.
There has been (controversial) discussion here before on breeding this and other 'difficult' corydoras with hormone injections. As I remember this wasn't terribly successful. It is my understanding that the C. schwartzi we see in the shops are usually wild caught but this is just hear-say, no firm evidence.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”