Cory Breeding Tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
MichaelC95
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Virginia
Location 2: Washington, DC

Cory Breeding Tank

Post by MichaelC95 »

:D Hello, I have just a few questions about corydoras breeding aquarium setups. Can you give me some ideas for a 20 gallon long (half bronze Corydoras, half pygmys)setup and what it should have in it? Pictures of your breeding aquariums or information would be helpful. Also what should the water parameters be? Thank you.
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Re: Cory Breeding Tank

Post by corybreed »

Michael,

You said you would like to set up a breeding tank. A 20 log is a large tank for most cory breeding. That being said a would stick to one species per tank if your intent is to breed. Mixing aeneus and pygmaeus would not be productive. You could use the 20 long for the aeneus and a 5 gallon tank would be sufficient for the pygmaeus. Temperature in the mid 70's and a pH of 6.5-7.5 would be fine for both species. A sand substrate works best. You can decorate with some bog wood and plants. Java Moss works well if it is available to you.

Mark
MichaelC95

Post by MichaelC95 »

Well I am going to use a tank divider, but is there a species that would work instead?
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

min breed in their community tanks. at least 10 fry a month. when I get too many I bring some to the fish store.

I had a 20 gal long set up for peppered cories. 12 peppered cories, solo occupants, sand bottom, dirftwood rocks slate tunnels hides live plants, floating and rooted in substrate.

they bred like rabbits and i never had a live fry, they ate all the eggs I guess.

funny i have sterbai and panda cories in different big tanks and i have fry alot. interesting!
MichaelC95

Post by MichaelC95 »

Well looks like I have to wait awhile. My Kirbensis cichlids have layed eggs and I'll have to wait. Well at least they're breeding. :o

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”