Clarias batrachus

Incorrect ID? New info to be added, taxonomic revisions and any kind of changes to the data we currently hold in here please!
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Clarias batrachus

Post by Shovelnose »

Just wondering if the entry for this species (distribution,pics etc) needs to be split as per :

"The identity of Clarias batrachus (Linnaeus, 1758),with the designation of a neotype (Teleostei: Clariidae);Heok Hee NG and Maurice Kottelat."
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Clarias batrachus

Post by Birger »

What I get from this paper is that a revision is recommended but material would have to be gathered from various areas and then studied.

Until that time when this is done I would think it should stay as is except if there is a wild caught added to the Cat-eLog the area should be identified as well, which we usually do anyway if possible.

A problematic glich in all this is the number of introductions into areas where should not be.

Birger

EDIT There is Clarias magur from Northeastern India & Bangladesh that could be put into the Cat-eLog...do you think an image could be procured?
Birger
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Re: Clarias batrachus

Post by Shovelnose »

I was wondering if any of the pics already in the entry of Clarias batrachus are actually C.magur. That was the intent of my post.

I will check with a coupla friends from up North and see if they have any good pics the Clarias from there. I havent collected Clariids in any of my trips. Quite strange.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.

Return to “Cat-eLog data issues”